Featured Is anybody here an expert in antique Judaica?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mart, May 10, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart Active Member

F5B9D140-4FE5-44DC-B24B-BD534BF9D86E.jpeg 4E663616-0909-4165-99BA-DC891A635886.jpeg 8582134F-7A39-47B7-9640-14C6EF40A6D1.jpeg Because I’ve got lots of it. Right here’s a full set of Chumashim from 1928 from my grandfather and I’m wondering if they might be worth something. I don’t know if anybody here is knowledgeable in this field. But if someone can help with this I’ve got lots more Judaica items to post. TIA

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Usually we think of antique as being 100 years old or older. This is close, though.

I don't know much about things like this, though. @komokwa , is this something you know about? (And there are other possibilities.)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The Torah Temimah (תורה תמימה - from Psalms 19:8 תּוֹרַת ה תְּמִימָה "The Torah of Hashem is perfect.") is the magnum opus of Rabbi Baruch Epstein. Published in 1902, it is a commentary on the Torah and the Five Megillot, the object of which was "to show the interrelationship between the Oral and Written Law." [1] In so doing, Rabbi Epstein "weaves together related halachos and Aggadah together with concise explanations of the text," [2] Rabbi Epstein's method was "to quote comments and interpretations from the vast Rabbinical literature on each Biblical verse [(Bavli, Yerushalmi, Sifra, Sifre, Tosefta and Mechilta)] and to then provide his own analysis of how the interpretations were deduced," [1] frequently offering a novel explanation on the statement. Despite its scholarly nature, the "clear and lucid style of this work makes learning enjoyable and accessible to all."[2] See Oral Torah #In rabbinic literature and commentary.

nice set of books....... donate them to the nearest yeshiva .....

4. Mart

Mart Active Member

Thanks for the info. I’m going to keep them they belonged to my grandfather who learned in Telshe Cleveland he passed away a few years ago and all of his seforim have a lot of sentimental value to my mom. I’m just interested in learning more about them. I have lots more some from my great grandfather who was a holocaust survivor he left over a big collection of seforim from prewar Europe some of them have writings in them from some of the greatest gedolim of Europe. I just find it all fascinating and I’m trying to learn more about them.

5. komokwa

Talk to your Rabbi...... for starters !!!

6. komokwa

some from my great grandfather
    a big collection of seforim from prewar Europe

those may have more historical value !

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

reminds me of a story a Turkish second hand shop owner told me. he was called by a nursing home about a household clearance. he sent a cousin of his wife - not the sharpest knife in the drawer - that didn't realize it was a home for aged Jewish people and brought home a whopping 300 kilograms of Hebrew books. unsalable of course and dumping them cost him 200 Swiss Francs.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just adding my 2 cents. If anyone here comes across vintage Haggadahs that are in great shape they do sell, especially around Passover. They do need to be clean and no lost pages. I sold some this past season.
    So keep an eye out if you see them at sales.

9. Joe25

Joe25 New Member

hey fid curious do you know if your friend ended up dumping the books or perhaps he still has them? I would be interested let me know thanks

10. komokwa

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry, no. they went straight to the dump.
    but as Basel had many refugees from over all Europe there may still be some storage place.
    the old Jewish Altersheim La Charmille was closed it seems because there were not enough "newcomers" anymore; either closed their eyes or went to Israel.
    the rest of the people went to a mixed senior home "Holbeinhof" - maybe they know something.
    or try to contact one of the Jüdische soziale Organisationen on the left of the page.

https://www.inforel.ch/i1367.html

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

no use calling me, I don't hear you. :hilarious:
    do I need to change some settings ?

13. komokwa

no need to change a thing......

Fid likes this.
  14. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

@Fid - Wonderful reply - thanks