Featured Is anyone familiar with Stu Braunstein art glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NancyJean, Feb 2, 2019.

1. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

Hi, Wondering if anyone is familiar with Stu Braunstein art glass. The signature on this art glass bowl is written clearly, but I can't find a single reference to him anywhere. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! Nancy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Interesting piece.

Are you near a large city? Local Studio artist?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the guy:

Tuscon Weekly, Sept 16, 1999:
    The artists -- Stu Braunstein, Barry Entner, David Garcia, Wes Hunting, David Lewin and Douglas H. Ohm -- are all leaders in the genre of transforming industrial glass into art. Officially called the Studio Glass Movement in America, this style was pioneered by Harvey Littleton, a University of Wisconsin ceramics professor whose main thrust was producing art glass pieces in a small studio -- a major accomplishment when compared to the big glass blowing factories of Venice, Murano and Naples.

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/city-week/Content?oid=1065076

4. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

Hi SBSVC, thanks for the response:) I took a look at the Philabaum Contemporary Art Glass Gallery site, nothing currently by Stu Braunstein, but it's the only reference so far & I'll dig around a bit more. Very much appreciated! Nancy

judy, SBSVC and i need help like this.
  5. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

Yes, near Philadelphia & NYC, haven't been able to dig anything up in local searches. If I learn anything I'll post. Thanks!

judy and i need help like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found something else, when looking under Stuart Braunstein instead of Stu. Just as a caveat, that search brings up some things about a different artist named Stuart Braunstein, too.

Here are the few things I found about the glass artist:
    He is mentioned in this exhibit from 2016, but his work is not in the slide show:
    https://www.ramart.org/content/spectrum-contemporary-artists-color

One of his works is on this page:
    http://www.pbase.com/brownsf/glass_sculpture_etc

His work is mentioned in this article from Pittsburgh in 1999:
    http://old.post-gazette.com/magazine/19990828thomas6.asp

I did have fun reading about the Studio Glass Movement in America, too.

7. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

OK I am officially lame at researching online! I'm sure that's him mentioned in your third link....his, icily cool on the outside, have interiors that are a feat of carving through colored layers of glass that for all the world appear to be paint.
    Describes the bowl I have perfectly. Thank you!! Nancy

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome! Have a good day... and I don't think you are lame at researching online.

i need help likes this.
  9. Joe Biunno

Joe Biunno New Member

yes, I know Stuart... met him through business(he was working at Garrett Wade Inc., a woodworking tool supplier in Manhattan, NY)... we became friends and both our families began socialized... I actually remember when Stuart was making this exact piece... it was made at the Urban Glass facility in Brooklyn, NY... I was buying a lot of tools back in the 90's from Stuart which he then used those proceeds to buy studio time at the Urban facility... this piece was definitely made in the mid-90's... haven't seen or found SB in quite some time... a number of people have called me also looking for him as well... I do know he was divorced, so no leads there... basically just dropped out of existence... basically he would be in his mid to late 60's at this point in time... every once in a while I do a search and that is how I came across your post... if you should find him, tell him Joe Biunno, and other friends would like to know that he is ok and would like to catch up... thanks... JB

Draft saved Draft deleted