Is "brushed" gold indicative of newer jewelry?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucashudd11, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

Hello all,

I am new here :). I have always had an interest in antiques but am still learning jewelry styles/identification. I had a question which may be stupid: is textured gold (see below photo) always indicative of newer pieces which are not gold? I found this on an auction site and it is untested but labeled gold-toned.
    Thankyou!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Lucas.
    I can only see the photo of the back, but in this case that is the most important one. It is not brushed, but textured as you said in the post.
    This kind of texture is indicative of costume jewellery. So the auctioneer is right to call it gold-toned, and not gold.
    The stone seems to be a real stone, but not precious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

Thank you! Apologies for using the terminology "brushed" instead of "textured". Is there a reason why real jewelry is hardly ever textured like this?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

That's ok, it is one of those jewellery things. Brushed has a very finely lined texture. Gold and silver jewellery of the 60s and early 70s often had a brushed look, part of the Modernist style of the period.
    Goldsmiths and manufacturers don't want their jewellery to look like costume.:playful:

5. Any Jewelry

KikoBlueEyes and Lucashudd11 like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That sort of texture on the back is never precious metal. Always pot metal/costume/whatever. I'd say the vast majority is 1960s/1970s. The costume pieces were sold as "genuine stone" in gift shops and the like.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted