Is it or isn’t it a genuine Capodimonte?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

A genuine Capodimonte? I’m pretty sure it isn’t; but what about other Italian companies, and Belgium or German producers?

Is it old; there is no country of origin or name of manufacturer? It has a backmark that is close to; but not entirely the same as many of those I have seen illustrated. I read that other manufacturers using the near-Capodimonte marks did so as a tribute to the Italian producer. Hmm!

There are three discrete marks:- Blue crown above a capital "N"; 68 5 21 that might be a date, although there is a vague sign of another number between the 8 and the 5; and finally the number 24 hand written in red.

The penultimate photograph details buttons at the bottom of the smoker's trousers.

This is the first time I have held a figurine of this quality, so if it is a total fake, I will be surprised, and very disappointed. I bought it on Sunday at an English car boot sale for £1.00.

Thank you for your help.

Tableau smoker 11.JPG

Tableau smoker 9.JPG

Tableau smoker 16.JPG

Tableau smoker 4.JPG

Tableau smoker 5.JPG

Tableau smoker 3.JPG

Tableau smoker 13.JPG

Tableau smoker 7.JPG

Tableau smoker 8.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There really hasn't been such a thing as genuine Capodimonte for a few centuries. ;)

I don't think this is Italian. The style, paste and numbering look German or Austrian to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted