Featured Is my little plate Cantagalli?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, May 4, 2018.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A bread plate, I guess. About 7" across. Hand painted majolica.

z.jpg

zz.JPG

zzz.JPG

2. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

That cockerel is nicely done and so are the ghirlanda (garlands). I would like to think this is genuine but I can’t be certain. The plate isn’t marked “Italy” or “Made in Italy” as it should be. This plate is round whereas most 19th and early 20th century plates produced in Italy as tableware had scalloped rims. There were circumstances that might explain why a bread plate would not show the country of origin or the fact that the plate had a round shape to. Having beaten myself up over the last hour making an identification I vote on it being true Cantagalli circa 1900

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thank you for the vote of confidence, and the tortured deliberation. I think the decoration is very nicely done.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree that the decoration is beautifully done. Hard to imagine it would be anything other than the real thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted