Featured Is my vase Minton?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Oct 28, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I bought this small 11cm A2A905A4-3DB0-4F1D-9EE5-64812372B29D.jpeg 69B50593-0516-4317-8858-B31D200B8CB6.jpeg 19958C84-C79B-4A94-A60E-1761EA2193BF.jpeg 739BF235-42D9-4AF6-AF71-F8CFE6094113.jpeg A194413B-EFBA-4E72-A9AE-28D18ABD3B88.jpeg aesthetic period bone China Japonisme vase this week. It is unmarked.

I found the one in this link from the Met Museum that is impressed Minton. (and a Christopher Dresser design in my opinion) https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/771056

There are extremely close similarities although the marked vase’s gilding is more intact. Do you think mine a copy or perhaps a Minton piece? The crane and the large bird look to be painted in the same hand.

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

You know far more than me about ceramics but the whole piece from the museum looks much more refined in the painting. Compare the cranes legs for instance. Who knows maybe it was a bad day for the artist?

charlie cheswick and judy like this.
  3. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Just by comparing the base of your vase to that of good quality Minton, i would say its not of Mintons Quality. Comparing the jewelling( small dots ) they are not well done or should we say Mintons quality.
    But a sweet little vase
    Perhaps someone else knows better.

KSW and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it may actually be Japanese.

John Brassey likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The quality of the painting of the birds is a bit lower than the one shown in the example. Indeed that crane's legs aren't great, and in fact, the entire crane - isn't believably realistic. STILL, the other birds are done well, and overall, I would say it's pretty well painted. The amount of wear on the top shoulders of the vase bothers me, not sure why so much handling, is the top coat of clear glaze too thin or missing on the exterior? Does the interior use wear match the exterior? The bottom shows little use wear, but I do see it appears the bottom edge IS glazed with thin clear glaze, so perhaps it's had much more use than it appears from the bottom. What's the interior look like? Extremely well used? Maybe just loved and over rubbed.

6. John Brassey

I think it is definitely English. The painting is not quite as good as the museum piece although it certainly looks good without magnification and my photos may not be as good. There is no doubt that if it is not by Minton, it was certainly attempting to copy it!

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 11.42.40.png Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 11.43.43.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. John Brassey

Yes it is over rubbed definitely. Been over handled and I think that is why it looks inferior to the Minton.

KSW likes this.
  8. antidiem

Well, I put some thought into why it looks inferior and the rubbing wasn't the reason, it was the quality of the painting of the crane. The perky little bird with the banded wings is classic, easy to paint. The sparrow and seashell are well done, the foliage is well done too. The butterfly and the little yellow flowers - not so much so.

So, I didn't base my thoughts on the rub wear. However, I do find the rub wear to be indicative of a not very high quality job done because I think it's from being under glazed. Does the paint all sit on top of the clear glaze? --I doubt that would be typical to a high quality porcelain vase.

And as pointed out by Norman, the jewel dots aren't great. How does the size of yours compare to other Minton vases?

9. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

It is a pretty little thing, John. I don't think it's Minton either, but whoever did it borrowed heavily from the original.

I have a hunch that it's a blank that someone tried their hand at copying the Minton piece. The birds remind me of some of the work that was coming out of the French studios during the Aesthetic period. Take a peek at the bird on this unmarked vase.
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...dlesticks-gourd-shaped-vase--121-c-9664d2a86d

KSW, John Brassey and antidiem like this.
  10. antidiem

Definitely an attempt! How does the size of yours compare, John?

KSW likes this.
  11. John Brassey

Almost the same size mine is slightly taller. Someone suggested Brownfield to me but I've gone through my Brownfield book and there is nothing similar - however the Minton art director Ludwig Jahn did leave Minton in the 1870s and joined Brownfield
    Size is just slightly taller than the one in the Met. Decoration does seem to sit on top of the glaze.

antidiem and KSW like this.
  12. John Brassey

I'm going to list it tomorrow as in the Minton aesthetic style but probably copied. I asked someone who has bought Minton from me and has Minton in his user name to comment but he hasn't. I'll know the answer if he bids!!

antidiem and KSW like this.
  13. antidiem

I don't know how this compares to actual Minton - yes please let us know if he bids or not, it will be a learning experience! @John Brassey Thanks!

14. John Brassey

He replied and told me he only collects early Minton so doesn't know about this Victorian ware.

antidiem likes this.
  15. antidiem

Thanks, John.

Draft saved Draft deleted