Is She a Censer? I See SW Native American, But...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 28, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She's 4¼" high, ~7¼ oz. The clay color (visible at the bottom of her bowl) is an earthy red, but I don't know if that's terra cotta. The white bib is carefully done, as are the sculpting of her hands, foot and face. The red garment appears to me to have been painted more than once. The black on the bowl is sloppily done. She is fully enclosed except for the small vent provided horizontally from the bowl floor. If censer, never used...no scorch or residue. Navajo has been suggested, but I don't know enough to put much weight on that supposition.

Your observations, please? Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_9bf1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bf0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bef.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bee.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bec.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bed.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9bf4.jpeg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Although frequently seen on so-called "Southwest" tourist gift shop items, no Native American Indian women traditionally dress like this, so I would rule that out. Possibly Mexican, or maybe some other Central or South American country.

If you could show a photo of the bottom of the figure, that might help determine where it was made.

BoudiccaJones, judy and wlwhittier like this.
  3. wlwhittier

Pic 6, above, is an oblique view of the base. I'll do better tomorrow, with resultant view here.

judy likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

Agreed. It does seem odd, given the high heat common to their historic area of abode...even Mexican or Central American peoples must accommodate routinely elevated temperatures.

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

But she at least has bare feet!

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted