Featured Is somebody familair with English names. Need help with signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Oct 8, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Hi,

Got this signature on a art work which I'm researching.
    Its a London scene from the 50s 60s and therefore also probably a English artist I think. I don't have much knowledge regarding English names. I suspect that the first letter is maybe a M and the last letter a Y? Anybody here familiar with English names and surnames and can making something out of it.

Any help/info is welcome.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I thought something Fischer at first glance but not sure.
    I think that may me an L to start.

Christmasjoy and benbenny007 like this.
  3. benbenny007

You see what I mean.. Thats why I'm here :)
    Why do artist sign like this. They know how important it can be for future reference and recognition. Is there a reason for it?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Because they are special....just ask them. ;) :p

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't do any better than stratosphere. The word that is, just the word....

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

MacCarthy or MacCauley, in one of many spellings possible. Can you show the whole thing?

7. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I wonder how weird it would be if ever one of mine pops up here, hehe, you will have a field day decyphering mine, as small as possible and only initials, I don't know why we artists do this...;)

Or that I walk into a thriftstore and see one of mine for a couple of euros...that would be painful....

KingofThings and benbenny007 like this.
  8. benbenny007

I have just uploaded the work. but no hits with the names you mentioned.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of my art for sale yet, but I used to make jewellery, and I've seen 'my' necklaces in three different, rather prestigious, internet auctions. One was listed as Art Deco.:confused: A bit insulting, I'm not that old.:rolleyes:

10. Ownedbybear

Hm. Mid 1960s from the buildings. You've got Guildhall on the left looking towards St Pauls, so that's London Wall, I'd say, looking West. The perspective is a bit skewed, but it looks, on the right, like the office building just past the lump of actual Roman Wall on London Wall. Before you get to the roundabout with the Museum of London on it. I used to work round the corner.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. benbenny007

How cool. I did knew that it was St pauls but still needed to research the exact location :) Its a interesting picture showing the building of the towers of London. I also dated it approx that period because of the design of the cars. Who ever it was he/she was a talented artist. It got that naive style to it

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

You might email both the Museum of London and the City of London Corporation. They may have something in their archives, even if it's only a talented amateur.

Christmasjoy and benbenny007 like this.
  13. benbenny007

Ow ok. That's good to know.

From a learning experience: So even if the artist is not known they could still have records? I understand that the museum of London could have some records. But would City of London also have records of this?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

They both might. Some of our municipal museums hold amatuer artworks in the cause of recording history. I bought a friend a watercolour by a good talented local amateur and it turned out that said artist was also in the council archives. I also think both organisations would be interested to see the image, especially as it's changed radically round there of late.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. benbenny007

That's good to know. Thx for the advice, you've been very helpful. I will defiantly contact them. Its indeed a interesting view and yes it changed a lot! Had a look on google maps satellite and it looks like 70% of the view on the picture has changed.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

You're welcome, do please update with what you find out.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted