Is the 1/4" height difference in these porcelain candleholder pairs a defect ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MeissenMan, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MeissenMan

MeissenMan New Member

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The bases look like a different diameter as well.

I have seen this in glass candlesticks.
    My explanations and I don't know that they are correct:

These may not be the original pair sold together. They may have been made at different times. Maybe different years. Molds might have worn down.
    Could be someone found one and then by chance found the second.

Or they were sold mismatched to begin with. Merchant had two pair and mixed them up.

4. MeissenMan

MeissenMan New Member

IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Thank you. I took some measurements and the bases seem to be of the same height and diameter. The problem seems to be in the metal connector housing on the base piece. The top of the metal connector is is not level and flush on both bases. This gets worst when the top pieces are connected to the base. Their hight exaggerates the tilt on both bases. But the good news is I could rotate the bases while keeping the top fixed, so the tilts are behind in display. In that way, one is about 1/4 shorter than the other one. See photos.
    Also notice the intensity difference of green on the leaves below candles.
    I am trying to find out if these issues make the item defective (factory second) ? If so, I have 2 weeks to return them. Thanks
    Sam
    Sam IMG_0549.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  5. MeissenMan

MeissenMan New Member

Thank you. I took some measurements and the bases seem to be of the same height (not counting metal insert) and diameter. The problem seems to be in the metal connector housing on the base piece. The top of the metal connector is is not level on both bases. This gets more worst when the top pieces are connected and therefore more height.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

The flowers and butterflies on the base of the right candleholder are much closer together than those on the left. Just an observation.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Am in agreement with 'Cluttered' 100%, so, to me, it depends on how much you want them.....and you also picked up on the color differences!!! Me, I'm picky, so they'd go back.....JMHO!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Me? I wouldn't send them back, not even alter them, just altar them..........................

One at either end of the dining room mantel, far enough apart that the difference wouldn't be immediately noticeable....................

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

Ha! :)

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if you bought them as a pair...they don't look like a pair......back they go...

KingofThings likes this.
  11. MeissenMan

MeissenMan New Member

Sorry about repeated photos. Just getting the hang of it. I like to add that I did check the counter tops I used to place the pair and take photos and they are dead level.
    Sam

KingofThings likes this.
  12. MeissenMan

MeissenMan New Member

As a friend once said, "you have control when buying an item", not when selling.
    I am also picky and am going to return this item. Thanks for your inputs.
    Sam

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  13. KingofThings

You may still be able to get rid of the dupes in edit.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted