Is the world full of Indiana Glass Strawberry and Bird Repros?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Dec 4, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I saw a set of 8 or 10 short tumblers and knowing not much about EAPG I looked at a few pieces on my phone, and decided they looked not right - but wanted to check if there were in fact lots of repros.

The pattern looked very close - the same mold lines and pattern lined up, but no wear and some of the design was a little "faded" or flat. No remarkable color or character to the glass...

I'm sure they're still there - I'll take pictures, but wondering if anyone has an opinion...

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I dont' understand the interest in this pattern, it's early 20th century, very late EAPG if it can be called that. There was an auction in OHio last month with probably a hundred pieces, all with colored enamel on them. I don't remember that there was much interest in it.

No, I don't think it's been reproduced, Indiana (at Dunkirk) make lots of it.

3. scoutshouse

I never know when I'm going to have to price EAPG, something I'm definitely not strong on. Just knowing if Indiana has been repro'd extensively is helpful.
    But I think probably people like them bc they've got birds on 'em.
    It's a nice set, very cheap and maybe an opportunity to sell and learn.
    Thanks!

4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Your question - Is the world full of Indiana Glass - deserves a yes answer. Well, close, anyway. Basically started in late 1800s and with mergers, etc. produced thousands of popular glass pieces until the late 1900s. Almost all machine made. You could say, glass for the masses, including restaurant wear. For a long period, glasses for Coca Cola. Good quality, nice designs and popular. I've always said, as many others do, that Indiana's lack of collector following is because they made TOO MANY pieces. If your "bird" question means hens on a nest, that's a great example. I'd say several thousand of each color. The only difference being the color. Very few are rare and might still bring over $100, but the rest are selling anywhere from a few dollars to maybe $10 or $15.

If the short tumblers are colored clear, not white opaque, and you like them a steal would be $5. for all. I don't know what you mean by "not quite right." Indiana Glass is well made, no repros, but no one has ever mentioned what happened to the moulds. Some made during the EAPG period but probably well after, too, from the same mould.

5. scoutshouse

Thanks! - I noticed the vine part of the pattern was a bit flat, that's all - I saw that and moved on. Plus, they looked unused.

Thanks again...

Draft saved Draft deleted