Featured Is this a Gene Kloss etching ? Thanks in advance !

Discussion in 'Art' started by Calico, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone ! I picked this up at a thrift store last week, I liked the scene and I love the look of etchings. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this looks like an actual etching. I didn't take it out of the frame but I will if it will help in determining the answer. It's by Gene Kloss and titled 'Snowy Banks' signed and titled in what looks to be pencil. The actual image is approx. 10" x 8" and I see no evidence of dots. If I tilt it a bit I think I see the indented edge from the plate.
    Any thoughts ?
    kloss1.jpg kloss2.jpg kloss3.jpg kloss4.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

All those factors would make me think it's an original etching. I like the print... it has a nice composition.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I like it too, but that looks like generalized foxing - all those little orangish dots? Needs to come out of the frame and mat ASAP, if it is.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat, I liked it too. I guess she is known more for her Native American and Southwestern theme art. I only see a reference to this particular print that said it was originally from the 1940's.

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Bakersgma, I was wondering about that. My photos make it look worse than it is, no real orange on the image but I'm sure if my camera picked it up it's there on some level. I'll remove it and post better pics.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Here's after I removed it from the frame and before I removed the mat so I could show the edges. I can feel a slight edge where the ink begins and it looks like the back corner(s) have ink fingerprints or something from the etching process ?
    It was attached with brown scotch tape to the mat.
    kloss5.jpg

kloss6.jpg

kloss7.jpg

kloss8.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks right to me.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thanks !
    Very cool...the book Gene Kloss Etchings says this was done in 1943 with 75 editions. Not sure if I should have it cleaned before selling and where the best place to sell would be.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it looks terrific, but I would guess it was an edition of 75, rather than 75 editions.

10. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

LOL...understood Stuff. Well, I can't and won't try to get the old tape off, I'm afraid of damaging the print, although I'd like to get it away from the mat, I think the cardboard backing was the worst offender.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, excellent. You might want to have an expert look at it to see if it's possible to get the tape off separately.

13. verybrad

You said this was brown Scotch tape? I don't know about brown but regular Scotch tape is easily removed with rubbing alcohol. You work a little of the alcohol under the edge of the tape and lift gently. As you lift, get more alcohol in there and continue lifting. I use a Q-tip and patience. Any adhesive residue can be removed with alcohol and it will not damage the paper.

14. verybrad

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. :kiss: I mispoke, it's masking tape and quite a bit of it was already loosened from the print, so it just took patience and gently lifting with a sharp blade to separate it from the print, a tiny bit at a time. It pretty much lifted off by itself.

KingofThings, Pat P and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm late to this thread, but just wanted to say that I love the print.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Fig, there was one of her San Francisco boat etchings there so I am going back today to see if it's still there, wish me luck !

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Good luck! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Ah well...it was gone, at $4.00 I am just VERY happy I found this one. Thank you Everybody !

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Just an update. I ended up selling the etching to a California Gallery for $1200 so I am very pleased with that. Thanks again Everyone !

Draft saved Draft deleted