Is this a genuine capodimonte?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Amanda Boston, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Amanda Boston

Amanda Boston New Member

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 4.59.59 PM.png This figurine was donated to the place where I work to go in an upcoming fundraising auction. The donor claimed it was an authentic Capodimonte, but we received no paperwork, I can't find other examples of it online, and the stamp seems suspicious compared to other examples I've seen. I would like to include it in the auction, but I do not want to mislead bidders.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Amanda. Lovely lady, but modern. True authentic Capodimonte has not been made since the 1700s. There is a company using the name currently but it is totally unrelated to the original.

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

absolutely as above, i think your right to be dubious ;);)

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Nice of you to protect potential buyers!

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Can call it a Capodimonte STYLE figurine.

Amanda Boston likes this.
  6. Amanda Boston

Amanda Boston New Member

Thank you. I'm glad to have that cleared up. It's a lovely figurine and I'm sure someone will love to have it, but I want to make sure it's not sold under false pretenses.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The mark was never copyrighted.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I have to disagree here - that mark is accepted as a genuine Capo mark - Capo is soft paste porcelain - I am sure we could all count the number of existing pieces from circa 1700 on one hand - to discredit Capo after that era would be to discredit all of the Italian soft paste Maestros of the last 2 centuries - just my opinion

bluumz likes this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

No one is discrediting the masters of the last 2 centuries. We're just saying this is not Capodimonte, and the mark can be used by anyone. Why would it be accepted as genuine when it isn't?

Bakersgma and antidiem like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's really no such thing anymore as genuine Capodimonte, as has rightly been said. I've got "Capodimonte" pieces bought by my mama in Italy in the 70s. There were and are literally hundreds of factories producing it. Some is very good. Some is tat. I'd call this one middling.

antidiem, kentworld and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted