Featured IS THIS A INDIAN BLANKET OR A REG MASS PRODUCED?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Sep 5, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a small 2nd hand furniture store - I love the colors & for only $10 even if not an Indian blanket I still think I did ok.
    Xan anyone tell it's age and/or origin from photos?
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE BLANKET INDIAN 1A_AAZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE BLANKET INDIAN 1AAZZ.jpg COLLECTIBLE BLANKET INDIAN 2AAZZ.jpg

i need help, Houseful and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Indian" as in Native American blankets and rugs have no fringe. Mexican?

@Taupou

patd8643 and i need help like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Really? Well I learned something new - thanks

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Probably Mexican - that's a very South Western "style" color scheme = 80s

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

6. Bakersgma

So to correct my memory that no NA rugs had fringe, there is only 1 type of "throw" made by Navajo (?) that has fringe - and that is only on one end and never both. Right?

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

As I understand it, that is correct when the fringe is an extension of the warp.

Then there is sewn on fringe which, as a guess, is a sign of nothing except that someone added fringe to a rug that didn't have it.:joyful:

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Well. I don't count "fringe that has been sewn on" as true fringe anyway. ;)

scoutshouse and Jivvy like this.
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The fringe on this rug, which consists of warp threads that are twisted together, and then knotted at the ends, is characteristic of Zapotec rugs, from Mexico.

Another key feature of rugs not woven on a Navajo loom, is that the outside warp threads are usually made up of a bundle of three or more warp threads, or of a thicker yarn than is used for the rest of the warp threads.

That's important to know, because sometimes the warps are woven back into the body of the rug, or bound off at the ends, to make the rug appear to be Native American (without an obvious fringe.)

In that case, you can gently separate the weft threads covering the outside warp to see if it's thick. Sometimes, as in this case, the outside warp threads are thick enough to see the difference, without having to do that.

But no attempt was made here to deceive the buyer. As far as I can tell, this is an honest Mexican rug, probably dating to around the 1970s/1980s, when these pastel colors were used a lot.

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Or Ouaxan... Again, those pastel colors wold date it from 1970s to 1980s South Western (decorator) style.

Some nice decorator pieces were made in that period... You'd need to find comps... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted