Featured Is this a Juliana brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've had this brooch around for a while. I think it's a Juliana brooch. What do you think?

DSCN0648.JPG

DSCN0647.JPG

KSW, judy, pearlsnblume and 1 other person like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Pretty, wait for the joolies.

KSW and judy like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

ID-ing Julianna is one thing I'm not good at, but from what little I know, looks like it might be. Please wait for others who know this line.

Certainly has some extra bells and whistles with that interesting mix of glass and the open backs.

Hope it's a winner!

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Thanks Pearls and Lucille!

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Juliana brooches have a back pin stopper.. I can’t see in your picture, does it have a one ? It should look like this: 8A8DD314-C0E8-4770-9221-0DB03FCEDBA9.jpeg

KSW and cxgirl like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

KSW likes this.
  7. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

I looked it up here http://www.isitjulianajewelry.com/ using “brooch” and “givre” and didn’t see it... but maybe it’s not “givre” the term I should look for.. :shame:

judy, KSW and cxgirl like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

You have it in hand, but to me, it looks like it has as much of a back stop as this one (from the Juliana database)...of course, I could be misreading one or both photos:

396 back.jpg

judy and KSW like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Oh, wait, I guess it does have a back stop, it just doesn't stop it. :hilarious:

KSW and Jivvy like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The only way I can differentiate a D&E piece from any other quality rhinestone piece is that D&E has the "figure 8 puddling"... but your piece doesn't have any round-set rhinestones so that identifier isn't applicable. From what I've read, D&E did sometimes use rhinestone chains within brooches, which it appears yours does have (though the source stated that the chains were "mostly" used in the flower brooches as stems).
    There are a lot of quality rhinestone pieces from that era that are not D&E, though they are made just as well and with many of the same techniques. I think, sometimes, one will never know for sure.
    [​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I agree on both counts. On the old ebay boards there was a contact with a DeLizza & Elster person who would confirm/deny, but I have no idea if that person is still available.

The IsItJuliana database does include this one that is made primarily of rhinestone chains. But, without puddling, I haven't a clue really. :bucktooth:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, KSW, bluumz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bookahtoo

Thank you for your help and opinions everyone. I feel like I am better educated now.
    I think I'll just put this brooch away again. :):)

KSW, Jivvy, judy and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted