Is this a known Taxco silversmith please?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

TIA!

Attached Files:

• H30C.jpg
      H30C.jpg
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
    Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I haven't a clue though I've read that there is no master list of makers by number. I actually don't know if that true either:confused:

Anyway....I thought I'd ask if it says TS-75 as that's what I think I see, in case someone knows who it is. I did find a listing that has some reported info if that's the number however they don't show a photo of the mark or much else that gives me great confidence that they know. If the mark says something else....disregard:)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-giles-taxco-mexican-sterling-11244757

KSW and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Thanks sis - yes, I thought it was TS-75 but it's not well stamped. I'll go look at the link, much obliged.

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good mornin' OBB. Couldn't **you** at least have come up with an easy Mexico silver mark!!! Gee, we haven't had an easy one in years. ;) Will we ever see one with a distinct maker's mark and/or a recognizable registration number.

With my old eyes, I have to at least try editing the image in hopes of seeing it better. Welllll, I still not sure what the registration number is. It could be TS-79??? If it is TS-79, Hougart has under the Registration Numbers, p. 268:

"TS-79 Two trees mark."

Now to figure out what he means by "Two trees mark." Wellll I can't find anything in his book about a Two tree mark. I don't know if it means there would be a 2 tree maker's mark also on the silver or if that is the name of the silversmith company??? Only thing I can tell you that you no doubt already know is that registration numbers weren't used until after whenever..... just a minute to find that date... 1980. Obviously one and all can tell I'm on my first cup of tea.

Nowwwwww, I'm not 100% certain the RN is TS-79. Looking at the very few pages Hougart has on listed RNs, TS-79 is the only "T" with "79." Nowwww is that an "S," is that "79"????

--- Susan

Taxco-combo.jpg

5. Ladybranch

Just now have seen SIS reply. Hougart's has no TS-75 listed, but of course that doesn't mean anything for only a very few are known. The only "TS" he has listed are:

TS-30 Two trees mark
    TS-35 CSK
    TS-39 In the Matl style
    TS-40 On Alicia
    TS-43 OSA
    TS-51 RSG
    TS-64 Cony; Brilanti
    TS-70 Two trees mark
    TS-74 On Hector's
    TS-79 Two trees mark
    TS-114 On Anne Harvey
    TS-134 Two trees mark

Note all the "Two trees mark" listings.

--- Susan

6. Ladybranch

Ohhhh, found it!!! Seems Two Trees is a reputable Mexican silversmith according to the following listing on rubylane.
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/662010-RL1436/Ex78ceptional-Tax78co-TWO-TREES-TS-79

According to the following listing on WorthPoint, "the mark of registration number "TS-79, which is noted in the Morrill/Berk book 'Mexican Silver', on page 269, as the mark of Juan Sandoval Vazquez, and Two Trees. Also marked with 'Mexico 925'."
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/oz-massive-taxco-mexican-trees-242860999

--- Susan

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

8. Ownedbybear

HO! You guys are sooooo good. Thank you so much Susan. And, is there anything OTHER than a mystery Mexico mark? ;)

I owe you all, that's saved me selling it too cheap. ;)

9. Ladybranch

LOL

You're welcome. Hmmmm... we will only take a 25% kick-back from the sale, thank-you.:hilarious:

--- Susan

10. Ownedbybear

Hey, come visit London and lunch is on me. ;)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Ladybranch

Now.. that's a thought. Gee, wish I could call your bluff on that invitation. The first time I was in London, 1963/4, was on a college trip. The last full day there, I was on my own in London. Most of the others had already flown home a week earlier. I had decided to take a side trip to Spain, return to London, and sail home. On that last full day I wanted to see and do a few things that weren't covered in the main itinerary. The old saying was if you haven't had lunch ar Harrod's you haven't been to London. So on I went to H's. It was crowded. The only seat available was at a counter. This didn't impress me for I could sit at a counter at home. When the bill came, I sat there a few minutes trying to figure it out. A woman sitting next to me realized I was having trouble and that I was a "green," "wet behind the years," American. She asked if she could help. I showed her what I thought was the amount and she agreed. We got to talking. She introduced herself and I to her. She was excited by my surname saying her neighbors and very good friends had the same last name.

By the time we had to go, she had invited me to her home on the weekend to meet her friends. I can't remember where she lived, it was not London. It may have been Sheffield? This was a Wednesday or Thursday and I was leaving the next day. Boy, I hated turning down that invitation.

--- Susan

judy, Christmasjoy and lloyd249 like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I once spent the better part of an afternoon being lost in Harrods.
    Near closing time , the staff hurried about , informing clients in all the nooks & crannies that they should be leaving.
    On my way out I bought a sterling money clip.....just so that afternoon wasn't a complete waste of time....

judy, Christmasjoy and Ladybranch like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Komo,
    Last trip to London bought four Irish Linen tea towels for washing glassware. I still have one. My ex's all used them as they would rags:oops::oops::oops: I guess that is why they are ex's.:rolleyes:
    greg

14. komokwa

Hey Greg,
    The things I brought back from London......from the sublime to the ridiculous ..
    The things I did'nt bring home...haunt me to this day !

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Komo,
    Me too, all of the Georgian and older silver. There was so much of it I thought it had to be fake.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

Wilkinson Sword Cane sword....& Umbrella sword......had em in my hand.....most stunning blades I'd ever held at that age........but I left them there....:(:(

17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

TS-70. No trees.
    ts70 001.JPG ts70 003.JPG ts70 002.JPG

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks @Ownedbybear for this old thread! I’ve spent ages trying to track down the TS-79 mark on these earrings and find it here!
    I wonder what happened to Ladybranch as she was active on the forum until this thread and then vanished?

IMG_3214.jpeg

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that Ladybranch died several years ago not long after this thread was active.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted