Featured Is this a Koro with shakudo decoration - or just a souvenir piece?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Touchdry, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

I promise not to post any more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This appears to be the bottom part of a koro (incense burner), and the decoration might be called 'shakudo' (I think that is the right spelling). I cannot see any mark anywhere.

So, my question is, is this a Japanese Meiji period Koro with shakudo decoration (including by the looks of it - silver and gold) ... or a modern repro for the tourist trade?

I think it is in a pretty bad state - the top has a number of cracks, indicating possible heat cracks, and it could have had an upper part which might have been sawn off! Oh, and one of the legs is wobbly!

... Otherwise it is a fine example of Japanese engraving and incising, and inlaying ...

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yup, it's a good one, the real McCoy.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

WHY??? this is a charming mixed metals piece! And we love seeing nice stuff;)
    Shakudo is commonly used term for these mixed metals inlays, but it is wrong. Shakudo is a Japanese alloy, not the name of the work.
    Still trying to find the correct name:facepalm::joyful:

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The cracks were caused by the metal being over worked when forming the piece without annealing.The black areas may be shakudo or another metal alloy.One technique for the raised design is Uchidashi and can't tell from the photos if the others are "inlay' or soldered applied.It is impossible to date due to no maker's mark.

5. Touchdry

Unfortunately, I do not know the difference between soldered work and inlaid stuff. I was even wondering if the 'gold' is gold leaf. Did the Japanese do that sort of thing? Uchidashi? Another enigmatic addition to my limited vocabulary ... Thanks Hollyblue, I'll look it up, and digest it. Does the style give any ball-park ideas as to date? I have guessed the early to mid 20th century - Mieji is up to 1911 - is that right?

6. Hollyblue

They have a process called Zogan inlay which is a lot like damascene with a number of processes different than damascene.

7. kyratango

Aahh, thank you for the lead to uchidashi work!
    I found this nice site:
    https://www.jimkelso.com/tutorials/uchidashi.htm

8. Touchdry

Oh this is great ... collaboration at its best ... thank you Hollyblue and kyratango

9. Hollyblue

Jim has posted his work and tutorials on a number of forum over the years... The Carving Path,Engravers Cafe,Bladesmiths forum and probably others.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Whether it's correct or not, most of us in the trade, including the auction houses, call this stuff shakudo.

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. Hollyblue

The trade should get an education and not just copy some ignorant post from the web and elsewhere.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. kyratango

So, what is the correct name for it, as I’m still searching:rolleyes:?

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ha Ha! - We were dealing in this stuff long before the web was thought of - a time when you had to *actually* know something, not just be a good Googler :p

kyratango and Touchdry like this.
  14. Hollyblue

I guess many in the trade have been ignorant for more than 50+years.

James Conrad likes this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, that's us old antique dealers, a know-nothing bunch for sure.

Like I tell the kids ... "leave home now, while you still know everything!"

kyratango likes this.
  16. Hollyblue

If you are searching an English language Google,etc. probably use mixed metal.The would be Japanese terms but I'm not seeing them.Many example list the vases as bronze with mixed metal inlay and many others just say shakudo because the base piece has a black patina.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=japanese+metal+vase+with+inlay

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, Touchdry.
    Try centuries.;) Traders in any field come in all shapes and sizes. Some do their homework, others just make it up as they go along, and most just pass on what they have heard, without researching it. It depends on personality and the willingness to learn, and sometimes on the speed with which objects are traded due to economic necessity.
    Over the years myths are created, but also shortcuts like the term Shakudo for anything Japanese with raised work using undefined alloys.

Auction houses are notorious for misnomers and wrong attributions btw.:facepalm: It is mostly no homework, just guesswork. I thank them for that sometimes, it has led to some really nice bargains.:happy:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    kyratango, judy and Touchdry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    kyratango and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted