Is this a Kutani ware?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vanilla_Frost, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Hi! I bought a beautiful tea set from a thrift shop. I was wondering if anyone can help in identifying the maker and year of this tea set. I tried searching online (i.e gotheborg) and concluded that this may be a Kutani ware based on the mark but I still have my doubts. Would really be thankful if anyone would be able to provide further information for this tea set. Here's a picture for reference.

Sorry just took a picture of the tea cup.
    Kutani 1.jpg Kutani 2.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

I have added the pictures of the complete set

Kutani 3.jpg Kutani 4.jpg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, Welcome to the board.

Born2it and Vanilla_Frost like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with that actual mark, but to my eye that ware is Kutani.

kyratango likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Japanese Satsuma Thousand Flowers Design
    1915-1925
    b133a.jpg pCHmtuzwsV82JNzrztKhOA.jpg jgbPYqBTcPeMAv.v3ts-Lg.jpg kwW0eGw5M7Vm6Z8d.khhMQ.jpg CK0g1UOcfn1Q5DFe3.GVyA.jpg c7Z7MUrCOhf6lXGWnmX3Lw.jpg

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Is yours marked Satsuma?

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Very pretty. I would think kutani, too, from the character for 9 which seems to be in kutani marks. I could be all wet, though. 20th c, it seems to me.

Vanilla_Frost and aaroncab like this.
  10. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

11. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Thank you! :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Wow! If this is really from that period then that's so cool! Now I want to collect them all. They're all so pretty! I wonder what it's worth now. I'm not really an antique collector. I just stumbled upon my tea set from a thrift shop. I feel so lucky to have found it! Thank you so much for your reply. I feel so happy!

13. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Hello! I don't know, what does a Satsuma mark look like? Sorry not really an antique collector, so not really familiar. But I do think that I will be looking for antiques/vintage stuff from now on.

14. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Yes it does seem like Kutani based on the pictures shown in the thread. Thank you!

15. Vanilla_Frost

Vanilla_Frost New Member

Thank you, I saw that one earlier but I had my doubts as I guess I was looking for a mark that is more "exact". I guess it was silly of me to think that way, of course there will be variations.

16. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Hi, there are many variations to both Satsuma and Kutani marks as they are named for the province they are made in, so many different makers. There can be similarities between the two, and I came across this thread due to researching a piece of so-called Satsuma (I haven't seen the mark yet) in the same pattern - called "thousand flowers" however if you google it as well as this pattern you will get the Satsuma pattern more commonly associated with this name which is orange/red/yellow with chrysanthemums. The easiest way to tell Kutani is the "R" character (at the top of yours) - which I call the Kutani R (it means something else entirely but for me it's an easy way to explain to others), however not all Kutani has it and not all Kutani is marked. Similarly with Satsuma - there is a "mon" (a circle with a cross in it) that is often on pieces and signifies Satsuma and another character that looks like an anchor with a flat bottom. Wikipedia has good descriptions of both wares and Gotheburg has a plethora of marks for both wares amongst many other Japanese and Chinese marks. https://gotheborg.com. Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted