Featured Is this a period Art Deco necklace or just in the style of that time period?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

There are no marks. The stones are glass and the necklace is 14". Although there are a couple of corners that have minor chips at the side points, it appears to be too clean to be from the 1920's-1930's, however, the short length is typical of time frame. The heart shaped prongs seem rather odd too. Any suggestions or opinions? As always thanks for taking a look. Resize 1.JPG Resize 2.JPG Resize 3.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, and it looks proper period to me.

3. Lizzie

Thanks for taking a look, AJ. I am thrilled that you think so. I was on the fence about it. It is very pretty. I love Art Deco style anything.

KSW, stracci, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Agreed...very nice, too!

KSW, stracci, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A third yes for period and nice!:joyful:

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fourthed. Lovely.

KSW, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the fence. The glass looks right, but that's an 80s clasp. The lengthy is dead on for 20s/30s but the metal on the back looks funny. And it's closed -back. I've never seen a real one that was, which doesn't mean they don't exist. So...I want it to be, but...?

Figtree3, KSW and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't think it's older than 1980 either. The "stones" aren't "weighty" enough by my point of view. The back is covered and it doesn't hang fluidly.

9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well...I still like it, even if it ain't old!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can you show a close up of the clasp please?

Figtree3, KSW and antidiem like this.
  11. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Pretty common for necklaces of any age to need a clasp replaced, so that’s neither here nor there. Usually there are signs that show such modification pretty clearly, and that’s still just one piece of the puzzle.
    I’ve also seen open and closed backs on period pieces as well as reproductions. Just saying!

KSW and kyratango like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My first thought was older as well. But taking a second better look at the "heart shaped prongs", now having some doubts. Those hearts looks sort of like something that would be on a more recent piece possibly. Can you take a close up side photo of the heart shaped prongs? Could still be older, just a bit hard to see what is what in the photos.

13. Lizzie

Here is a close up of both the clasp and the prongs. It's very possible that the stones were reset which would explain the corner chips which can be seen clearly in this picture.

Resize 4.JPG

Figtree3, KSW and kyratango like this.
  14. evelyb30

The metals match and the closer in I look the newer it gets.

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

New or old I love it! Lovely necklace :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The spring ring looks newer to me.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to look, comment and offer opinions. After considering all that has been said and doing some research, I think someone harvested the molded glass from an Art Deco piece (hence the chipped corners) and did their best to make it in "style of". I did find some period pieces that had closed backs, the settings are not as simple as they are on this necklace. Plus the settings on this one seem to be made of chrome or aluminum which would be unlikely in the 1920's-1930's. It's still a pretty necklace and who ever created it did a nice job on spacing and having it lay properly. Again, thanks to all for the assistance. Your knowledge is appreciated

kyratango and antidiem like this.
  18. evelyb30

Another possiblility - Czech necklace. They were/are still finding glass bits in warehouses that date back to WWII and earlier. The manufacturers make new metal bits and sell the results.

19. Lizzie

That's an intriguing possibility evelyb. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted