Is this a piano shawl? 58 inch wide, 61 inches long

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Kingjoker, May 2, 2016.

1. Kingjoker

Kingjoker Well-Known Member

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

KingJ, with the dimensions you mention, I'm thinking maybe it might be more like a cover for a card table or something along those lines?

Do you have any thoughts on the fabric used here?

Kingjoker likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Piano shawls, of which we had several, are long and narrow - the same width as the top of the piano. I'd also think this is for a card table, although they were usually square. Since it looks homemade, it may be for a specific table.

Ladybranch and Kingjoker like this.
  4. Tekla Vintage

Tekla Vintage New Member

Not sure where you got this from or what the fabric is, but it is also very reminiscent of East European women's scarves/shawls, especially from the Carpathian mountains. I have several from the Polish Tatras--some are plain fabric like this one, others are brocade. All have similar fringe. They're meant to fold into a triangle and be worn over the shoulders. So if this happened to come from a Polish home, that's a possibility.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Piano shawls tended to be elaborate affairs, much more colorful than this. Like Bev, I vote for a tablecloth of some kind. With the measurements 58" x 61" that is mighty close to a 60" x 60" square table size. The cloth might have stretched an inch or so in either direction ending up at 58 x 61. Then again I like Tekla idea of an East European woman's shawl; however, a quick look a Polish shawls seem to have them sized around 48" square?

--- Susan

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Kingjoker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted