Featured Is this a pot or a lid-less jar?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Did this pot probably have a lid originally? I didn't see any marks... any thoughts on it's age and origin?

It's not in front of me, but I think it's about 3 or 4 inches tall.

It has damage in a couple of spots. Would that make it unsaleable? I like it and won't mind keeping it if it won't sell anyway.

Thanks for any comments...

pot01.JPG

pot02.JPG

pot03.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yah, i'm thinkin that had a lid..

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pat,
    They have been making these for eons. I had several I believe they held ginger. It has been a long time since I have seen one. I think they are beautiful just the way they are.
    greg

Pat P, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yes Chinese ginger jar. I have one and did a lot of looking for information about it. They were made for a long time and may still be for all I know. They had a lid often with a label and wicker wrapping. I found this picture with a complete one (and I wish anywhere in my house looked like this:() and one on Ebay that has some string wrapping and a label.
    [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Shiwan-Jade-Green-Ginger-Jar-Full-still-bailed-never-opened-Pretty-/321979494496?hash=item4af7793060:g:Lz4AAOSwL7VWkCRs&nma=true&si=rvRLMUqvWTV0drnS87hK9UUzdxs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks you, say_it_slowly, for finding a complete example. I always wondered what the tops looked like.
    Don

Pat P likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone, and SIS for the link. :)

If they're still being made and there's no way to even approximate a date, I probably will keep it.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm... sold prices on eBay have quite a range, with some sellers claiming their jar is 19th century. I wonder if there are typical signs to indicate the era?

Mine looks less refined than some I saw, with a drippier glaze, irregular coloring on the bottom, etc. Would that mean it's more likely to be more modern? Or just made in a different location?

I think my mother had this when I was young, which would make it mid-century or earlier. (Mid-20th, that is! :)) But I'm not positive... most of the things I grew up with I remember more clearly than this jar.

Draft saved Draft deleted