Featured Is this a print or actual watercolor and who did it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Either way, I love this thing. It is done on paper. I took it out of the frame and it does look like it is actually a watercolor by the "waviness" of the paper where the color is thicker. It has "A movable Indonesian restaurant" printed in pencil on the back. I don't see any pixels in it. I cannot make out the signature but did find an artist named Hans Von Hayek who did similar work in Indonesia and signed his name Hayek, sometimes on the bottom left and sometimes on the right, but though this signature does look like it could say Hayek, it is not exactly similar to Hans Von. Maybe an imitator? Anyway I'm interested in seeing what others think and thanks ahead of time for any ideas or thoughts.

IMG_6324 (2).JPG IMG_6316.JPG IMG_6318.JPG IMG_6319.JPG IMG_6320.JPG IMG_6321.JPG IMG_6323.JPG IMG_6315.JPG

Any Jewelry, CheersDears and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A genuine watercolor, I'd think. Looks like someone went to Indonesia and brought home a souvenir. (And rolled it up in their suitcase for the trip home too.) It speaks to you; enjoy it!

Debora

Mugzinnys, CheersDears and Bronwen like this.
  3. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

"A moveable Indonesian restaurant" ... you are unlikely to be able to find the artist, I fear, but what Debora said: Enjoy your watercolour.

Mugzinnys likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, and agree, a genuine watercolour.
    Different style and signature to Hans von Hayek though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kevolee

Thank you everyone. Yes, the signature is certainly different. The styles are slightly similar so I would think whoever did it may have been influenced by Hayek. Anyway everything I have hanging in my place is either signed original or a signed print so I am happy to hear that you all think it is indeed an actual watercolor. Thanks again all.

Any Jewelry and Mugzinnys like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Von Hayek may have painted in Indonesia, but he didn't influence the Indonesian style in any way.
    Your lovely watercolour is very Indonesian in style, a style which started with the 'Mooi Indië' school. The painters of the 'Mooi Indië' school were mostly Dutch, Dutch-Indonesian and Indonesian. My avatar picture is by a Dutch 'Mooi Indië' painter.
    I think your painter has an Indonesian name, but with that handwriting it is difficult to read.;)

Here are some late 'Mooi Indië' watercolours:

[​IMG]
    https://www.catawiki.nl/l/714131-kunst-soewardja-eben-4-aquarellen-uit-de-mooi-indie-school-ca-1940

[​IMG]
    https://www.catawiki.com/l/32090359...ury-various-views-indonesia-school-mooi-indie

Mooi Indië simply means Beautiful Dutch East India.:)

8. Kevolee

Thank you for that information. I enjoyed researching it a bit. I'm always reluctant to take the backing off any artwork, but this time I'm glad I did otherwise I wouldn't have had any idea this is a "Moveable Indonesian restaurant." That was like icing on the cake as I was drawn to this right away anyway. Thanks again.

9. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

A good way to tell a print from an original is to use a magnifying glass or jeweler's loop at 10x power. I've seen some good prints that are hard to tell if original or print with just the naked eye. A little magnification should reveal tiny dots from lithography, serigraph, or other print method. An original will show paint and media.

The photos you posted look like an original.:pompous:

Draft saved Draft deleted