Is this a real antique Chinese vase? Thrift store find

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kooljunkguy, Jul 25, 2021.

1. kooljunkguy

kooljunkguy New Member

Hello!
    Today I stumbled across this vase converted to a lamp in a good will today. Upon looking at the lamp, the fixture and the outlet are from the early 1950’s, so this conversion is vintage in itself. But I was wondering if the vase itself if real antique China. I’ll attach pictures, thanks
    48F45C52-75BD-48B8-A57A-E5008CD8EA25.jpeg
    18940002-7AD1-437E-9C8A-8677D6E494E0.jpeg D6358F16-25ED-4373-9475-B2482A9CB232.jpeg AC110B48-3333-4B18-99A3-85B2F0807FA2.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's a Chinese imagining of a Japanese moriage vase, it was likely new in the 1950's/60's

LauraGarnet02 and Boland like this.
  3. kooljunkguy

kooljunkguy New Member

At a glance it did appear Japanese to me, that makes sense.
    Thank you!

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,clearly doesn’t look to have any great age. But there’s so much new vintage,look-alike,reproduction,copies and artificially aged oriental stuff on the market. To me it’s like a minefield, Some of the fake stuff is very well done. I really wish I had more knowledge.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Go to antique fairs, dealer shops and auctions. Handle as many pieces as you can, books and the internet are only a small part of the puzzle. Nothing substitutes for holding pieces and scrutinizing in person. You'll get there in time.

DizzyDaff, Boland and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. I will do so. I hear what you are saying ,getting the ‘feel’ of something. I know it will take time, hopefully I don’t buy too many ‘duds’ along the way.

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted