Is this a recent print or is it antique?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Tressie, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Tressie

Tressie Member

Hi all :) I bought this at a thrift shop for 50 cents. Can anyone tell me if it is an antique or is it just generic decor? Thanks! 272EB592-5D8C-4B55-8627-00BD9F5F496B.jpeg

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can't say for sure....but it looks newer..

3. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Agree. Would need to upclose with a magnifying glass.

4. Tressie

Tressie Member

Well, the part the print is on looks like a piece of cloth, not paper. Any advice on what to look for?

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks to be on a newer Mat and textured paper.....my thoughts also would think newish and decorative.....looks nice!! Can't go wrong at $.50 cents!!!

6. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Well....? I need to consider the frame's aging and matting. Someone went to some effort and expense to frame this print. It may be worthwhile taking apart for a closer look. But wait for others, this may be not a good idea????

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How big? The image appears to be a reproduction of a vintage jar label, something that would not have been a likely home decor choice until it was old enough to be quaint.

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

From what I could find in old business reports online (1901-1903), Crescent made preserves in Council Bluffs, IA & Indianapolis, IN, and the Joseph Campbell Co made preserves in Camden, NJ.

While Crescent did some canning for Heinz, I found no connection between Crescent and Joseph Campbell.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the frame looks ready made.....and the mat is starting to go brown at the edge...
    IMHO....there's nothing here to warrant any further research.

10. Tressie

Tressie Member

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Tressie, if you go to this eBay site:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/382348753145?catId=1&item=382348753145&rmvSB=true
    you will see the EXACT same SHAPE as yours in a kit for sale, but not the SAME content.....makes me think someone might have gotten a bit creative on their own???? Here's a quick shot as well.....it's so easy to fudge things around nowadays....who knows what transpired....but you at least are the $.50 cent beneficiary!!!!

zCampbllsSpb.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  12. Tressie

Tressie Member

I took the backing off of it just enough to peek and there are several layers in there so I’m hanging on to it just in case. It’s cute for my kitchen anyway

KingofThings, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted