Featured Is this a Roseville Pottery vase or a copy? Has a sticker but no mark/name inscribed in pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Mar 3, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today; as the lady walked by pushing a cart full of stuff to be put on the shelves, I saw this vase & stooped her and asked her for it - I was sure it was a Roseville. When I saw a $7.95 sticker I was more happy!
    But then I saw there was no maker's mark inscribed in the pottery, only a sticker (but it does say Roseville Pottery)?
    Is this real or did I find another copy? (for the price I took a chance & bought it so I could find out here!)
    If it's real how do you estimate it's age?
    PS - It's 9" tall and even though I'm not a pottery guy; this thing is pretty(!) and with no scratches or chips!
    Thank you!

POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 1AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 2AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 3AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 4AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 5AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 6AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 7AA.JPG POTTERY ROSEVILLE VASE 7AAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Does this have a name? It looks like a bee hive(?) to me!

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

It's Roseville Luffa...1934.

judy, patd8643, Danijela Pope and 6 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

the pattern name is Luffa. from 1934

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sweet, I would have grabbed that in a heart beat! There is probably an R under the sticker, but I wouldn’t touch the sticker to find out.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Good score. All we get in the thrift store by me is clothes nobody wants, and broken lamps and electronics!

7. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

The partial blue mark showing under the sticker is a crayon mark, likely a decorator's or finisher's mark. BTW, this vase is #690-9.

8. journeymagazine

Thank you all!
    sabre 123, maybe it's because the thrift stores I go to are here in Miami - it has a diverse population from all over the world. Or... maybe because I seem to be drawn to old or unusual!

judy, sabre123 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thank you!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Neat find.

judy and i need help like this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I think it is because a lot of people from all over retire and die in that area. The families go to clean things out and haul them to the thrifts.
    When my Grandparents died on the west coast of FL, I rented a trailer and brought most of the antiques home to VA (at the time.)

judy, komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& thus all the Cuban & central American art work too !!!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted