Is this a salesman's sample or a jewelry box or something else?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

What's your thoughts? It's about 16 inches high. IMG_0131.JPG

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It probably is a salesman's sample. Many of those are misidentified as doll furniture. This is adorable.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any evidence that salesmen went round with crates of samples once printing and illustrations had been invented? Nowadays you could carry a hundred mini-masterpieces in your van, but imagine lugging half a dozen similar to this in a suitcase by train and horse and buggy.

There is some evidence that people made miniature furniture just for the sake of doing so.

Just call it Miniature Furniture', it is always way more popular than the real thing and the buyers can belive whatever they like about its origin.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

My naïve two cents... the knobs would be so big if to scale, that I would guess doll furniture. Thanks for those ideas, AF.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The scale is off on the knobs and those shelves ,so i'd vote like AF said , just miniature furniture . It looks like its missing a piece on the top ?

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

it's a bit like calling them apprentice pieces, af. I'm with you: these were just nice miniatures.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Too out of scale for a salesman's sample. Almost looks like a modified spool cabinet.

8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

looks like a jewelry box to me

Draft saved Draft deleted