Is this a Treasure or Trash, Small Bowl

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by nursenancy4, Nov 30, 2015.

1. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

Small bowl, no markings that I can see, looks Native American or Southwestern, but of course I can be very wrong, any help appreciated, thank you

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It does have a southwestern look.....but NA is a long shot.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks like Mexican tourist tat

KingofThings likes this.
  4. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

thank you both so much Am 99.9%sure this one is Mexican

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep - not much question about that one.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Are they the same size? A pair? If so, the second is SO Mexican that I would assume that the first is, too.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Did the photos get mixed up? I didn't see the first one when I looked at the thread previously, only the photo of the pot with the hole in the bottom. Now there are two photos, and the first one is definitely a Hopi pot, unsigned. Not quite in the category of a "treasure" probably, but definitely not "trash." An authentic, traditionally-made, Native American handicraft. A signature or hallmark from a famous potter would elevate considerably, but most Hopi pottery prior to the 1960s was unsigned.

The second, however, doesn't even meet the usual quality of handmade Mexican pottery. It looks like someone took a cheap planter and painted a "pseudo-Southwest" design on it. Not comparable in any way to the Hopi pot, in terms of value or desirability.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wow... thanks, Taupou...
    In that event, I'm ashamed to have graced the second pot with a Mexico-diagnosis, and mortified that I would have completely misdiagnosed the first by pairing them.

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

GG...my answer wasn't directed at you in any way! Just wanted to clarify what pots were being discussed, because if I only saw the photo of the one with the hole in the bottom, at first, maybe others did as well. That one might have been made in Mexico, but it doesn't fit the category of any traditional handmade Mexican pottery that I'm familiar with.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, no worries at all! I poke fun at myself all the time!!!
    And I LOVE to learn!!! I'm pretty impossible to offend.
    Thank you for the information!

Draft saved Draft deleted