Featured Is this an antique architectural piece or?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Sep 5, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

9538FB11-DADE-4EB5-AEF5-9775CAD12DE6_1_201_a.jpeg 7BF01E5C-945F-4F92-8A6E-4CE1B63F24B0_1_201_a.jpeg 26801B2A-B8A8-46AE-AEB7-E4E006DB2435_1_201_a.jpeg
    I've had this for a while because I could never really figure out what it was. I think the wire and nails were added later and this piece came off of something else. Is she really preggers? Strange but cool piece for sure. any help identifying her would greatly be appreciated.

I am so excited for a 3-day weekend, I hope everyone enjoys it!

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like the wood may be mahogany that someone spray painted.
    From the size against your hand, it probably came off a piece of furniture rather than an architectural piece. (I'm equating architectural to a building.)

Maybe @Ghopper1924 @James Conrad or @verybrad can help

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

Ah, that does really make more sense. Thank you!

kyratango, judy and antidiem like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree, thanks.

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

She's a half caryatid formed to create a bracket or corner corbel. Half caryatids date to the Renaissance, while full caryatids date to antiquity, like at the Erecthion in Athens. It's not a surprise that she should appear pregnant, as many of these figures had a fertility subtext along with their purported function, which was to carry the weight of the architectural element (balcony, lintel, etc.) above.

7. clutteredcloset49

Yes, I get that.
    But copying from architecture to make or adorn furniture - does that make it an architectural piece?
    I was thinking an architectural piece means it comes off a building.
    I don't mind being corrected.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the word architectonic would serve better. It refers to principles or elements of architecture applied to different things. Architectural refers directly to architecture.

In other words, taking an architectural element such as a corbel and applying it to a wood chest would be to use this element in an architectonic way.

The difference is actually slight. Most people use the terms interchangeably.

So in my view, no, the piece is not architectural; using it on a chest is an architectonic use of the element on a piece of furniture.

Just IMO.

9. clutteredcloset49

Ahh a new word that unfortunately will be lost in the recesses of the brain.
    Have enough trouble just pulling the 5th grade level words out and spelling them correctly with all of their letters in the right order.

lovewrens and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. gauntlettgems

That chest is amazing!! Ty for all of the help. I have a bunch of new words to read up on

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

a paunch - sometimes "chicken cemetery" - was at all times a sign of wealth; still is actually in regions like Sicily.

12. gauntlettgems

I just heard something like that the other day.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

in Bavaria there's the phrase "a man without a paunch is a cripple": but there it is rather caused by beer. in Italy there is even the expression "terrone" ( earth eater) that is still used in the north for Southern Italians because they were so poor they were said to have eaten earth. today often used abusively because the etymology got lost.

14. gauntlettgems

You guys are so smart in here. It’s amazing

Tanya likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Are two posts SPAM??????
    greg

16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes Greg,
    poster from India land with two ID's, now zapped.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted