Is this an old tool or just nature??

Discussion in 'Tools' started by NTC Collector, Feb 9, 2022.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

8537ECBF-4F4A-4610-8DA5-25753D534412.jpeg 92A7D51F-EEC9-44A0-AF29-ED6A62F39FE9.jpeg 590F90B3-426C-4EED-BDEE-79A4F69595D2.jpeg B75C2176-B9F1-401D-9071-4A52D63DA8D0.jpeg 91D61B93-AFA0-4928-9F8A-FEFEDE32C5DD.jpeg Hi, I found this in Africa some years back in a remote area and it caught my eye immediately. I’m wondering if it could be a tool or just natural stone. Was unlike anything around it (mostly sand). Has lines across both sides that connect and look like they could have been from being tied but I’m assuming just nature??! The edges are smooth so that throws me a bit too. That said I know nothing. It measures 6cm long and 4cm at widest. Thanks for your help.

judy and KSW like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It looks really interesting and I have no clue.
    Could it be a fossilised shell? Can we have a sharp close up of the edges and the marks on it?

NTC Collector likes this.
  3. NTC Collector

here are a few close-ups. A couple of the lines look like cuts but again maybe natural
    96D9C799-F69D-4BF7-85B2-250E3FB4F92F.jpeg E056962B-C7CC-4908-8ABC-038B08EE6A7A.jpeg B0A11A43-E23A-4EE8-93DD-097D327C47F3.jpeg 44BB4C0A-F5BA-4B87-B67F-0AA8F6D9735E.jpeg

Born2it and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Interesting. What country and what region? Please verify dimensions and indicate thickness. Also, indicate the type of area, eg. grassland, rocky, treed. barren, etc.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Born2it, NTC Collector and judy like this.
  5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

It looks worked to me. I'm no expert, but I believe it is a tool. Found several like it on a google search.

Born2it, NTC Collector and Aquitaine like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me like it has been worked.

NTC Collector and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

sabre123 likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHA!!! Until @Houseful chimed in, I was about to say I thought it had been worked on....now I'm totally beflummoxed!!! I did try to sharpen, but sometimes that adds artifacts (tiny white specs) a bit..... I think it's been worked on as well, but at those measurements (6cm long and 4cm at widest- from OP), a very small tool???​

96D9C799-F69D-edit--2_00x.jpg

NTC Collector, Houseful and sabre123 like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would expect a tool to be either smooth (ground), or flaked, not dimpled all over like that. But it is possible it was picked up as an interesting natural stone and the grooves put in for some decorative purpose.

Born2it and NTC Collector like this.
  10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

NTC Collector, Houseful, KSW and 3 others like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is a "Wrinkle stone" which comes from China.

Aquitaine and KSW like this.
  12. tom_412

tom_412 Member

Could it be a fossilized egg?

KSW likes this.
  13. NTC Collector

Thanks, it was southern Namibia desert so very dry, sandy area. It’s 6cm long, 4cm at widest and depth goes from 0.5cm to just under 2cm.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    KSW likes this.
  14. NTC Collector

Houseful and KSW like this.
  15. NTC Collector

The surface does look like the first top left photo. The reference to grooves in tektites in the link looks familiar - mine is both sides and connects through. Maybe a tektite??

sabre123 and KSW like this.
  16. Robert Ransom

My answer to your question is nature. The bands appear to be attracted iron and the groove resulted from iron decay and weathering. Tektite???
    Have you tried the light test?

NTC Collector likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think the only thing that I might question is that, @NTC Collector, the markings on your stone don't seem quite as random as the "wrinkle stones" from China!! Here are a couple posted on ebay:

Second Wrinkle Stone.jpg Wrinkle Stone.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  18. NTC Collector

It’s certainly not Chinese, but there’s some resemblance on the surface pattern. There’s no grooves on those examples though. Are wrinkle stones tektites?

19. NTC Collector

Thanks @Robert Ransom yes the middle groove looks more natural wear - the others throw me because they look so sharp edged. I note tektites on the link had deep grooves although none across and both sides like mine. Short of damaging it I can’t get a slither to do the light test unless there’s another way?

Robert Ransom likes this.
  20. Robert Ransom

Here's a thought. If it looks like a tektite to you, label it so and let it be your answer. I don't know where you live, however, you could contact the geological department of the nearest university and ask for an opinion. You could submit the item for professional analysis, but the cost may not be justified. Good luck.

NTC Collector and Born2it like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted