Featured Is this antique Nevers French Faience?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I only bought this because I thought the goats? were amusing. I didn’t even figure it was old because it’s in such great condition and the squiggle on the bottom I initially didn’t even think was a date. On closer inspection and looking online I’m hoping it’s genuine and the date is either 1771 or 1777. Diameter is 9 ins, (23cm) Any thoughts please anyone? Thanks, hope you love the goats too! 61F0EAB8-C486-441E-B58C-D90DBFCE0488.jpeg 35119B1F-5776-47D5-8C7E-5CC80DA7BBCB.jpeg

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmavelous!

judy and Houseful like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Remarkable condition if it is from that period.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love it!!!!!!
    greg

judy, Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  5. Houseful

Yes, it does look very clean. Could have been kept in a cabinet and passed down in the family I suppose.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It bothers me that the name is partly in caps.

judy, Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  7. daveydempsey

I was wondering if the date was Arabic/ Islamic and the item had been made in French controlled Tunisia or Syria etc

The two centre 7`s would be 6`s and we have not yet reached that date in the Hijri calendar
    2018 is AH 1439.
    The 1 could be a 1 but the last figure does not match.

judy likes this.
  8. Houseful

I have no knowledge about the Hijri Calendar, but I see what you mean. The whole thing feels odd, not totally French. The lettering is childlike, as some of the illustration is too especially the front legs but the rest of animal outline isn’t, and a child almost certainly didn’t do the brown line edge or outer design. This was a 30p jumble punt which everyone else who saw it ignored.

9. daveydempsey

This is 1-10 conversion.
    index.png

As you can see the two middle 7`s on your item look like Arabic 6`s but the outer symbols don`t match.

Strange but for 30P its not a problem.

I don`t know enough about the subject but maybe someone who knows the backstamp or design might come along soon.

judy, Houseful and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

What bothers me is that on the underside of the dish there is wear on the bottom but not on the actual ridge that meets the table, I like it a lot though ... Joy.

judy likes this.
  11. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

1AED03CC-2CBA-4B67-A7BD-3C53F44F8A70.jpeg It looks like it may have been in some sort of plate stand of some sort because of the marks in the center, as Joy pointed out. There are also three marks/scratches along the egde, that you can’t see well in photo.
    Marks might be from spring hooks.

judy, SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what about those metal plate hangers.....they'd scratch...

13. Huntingtreasure

I think the springs would make that center mark as well. It’s difficult to see the side marks. That’s all I know, I’m putting my crayon away now.

14. Houseful

It’s hard to see from the pics but the wear is on the point that meets the table. It’s been spun on a wheel in a spiral swirl. Sorry it’s not clear in my pics Joy and I can only see it when I tilt it in the light that this bit is lower than the ridge.

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

16. Houseful

I’m thinking these are 3 stilt marks that ceramicists use to separate the plates in the kiln. They leave sort of holes in the thick white glaze. I’m not a potter but I think I’ve seen this on TV.

judy, kyratango and Huntingtreasure like this.
  17. Huntingtreasure

That makes sense! Thanks, and my crayon is away! :smuggrin:

judy and Houseful like this.
  18. Houseful

Initially I thought the text was written by a child but if it is from date the person may have been older and maybe illiterate.

judy likes this.
  19. Huntingtreasure

I’m not a member of Ansestry.com, but maybe someone can check the name for you.

judy likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not bad for an illiterate person....:meh:

noun
    noun: illiterate; plural noun: illiterates
    1. 1.
      a person who is unable to read or write.

considering they can write pretty damn well......

& those letter styles just don't make me think of the way anyone was writing......
    in 1777....:rolleyes:

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted