Is this apocryphal Kangzi of much quality?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jan 25, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What do you think about it?

I'm not impressed.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  3. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It appears similar to ..(but not quite) the kaishu (normal script) mark of the Yonhzheng period. Yongzheng 1723-1735
    download - 2022-01-26T101845.919.png

It might be that each symbol represents a word. It might be one of the very ancient marks. If it is a 19th century revival piece then it is not very good quality. If it is really old then it could be quite valuable. It could also just be a poor quality modern fake.

Here is a link to some marks

https://www.patergratiaorientalart.com/home/1407

The picture quality is quite poor, if you can get a better image i can hazard a guess.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  4. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Yes Yonhzengh I dunno why I said kiangsi. Does the lack of a blue circle preclude it being authentic? Will try to get a better pic

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Mid 20th century Yonhzengh mark per Gotheborg. Their blurb says "High Quality" but I still don't think so.

6. Bakersgma

7. Francisco G Kempton

Please try to get a better picture as back marks alone cannot tell us enough.

8. Francisco G Kempton

No it does not have to have to be circle. Also the exclusion of the last 2 characters if we read it left to right, is not that uncommon. Four-character reign marks simply omit the first two characters recording the name of the dynasty.

I am not enthusiastic that this is a period vase.

Pat Dennis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted