Is this art or something from the Home Depot garden department?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, May 20, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I find this to be very attractive and it seems to have some quality to it, but I am
    not sure if it was done be an individual or mass produced from a mold. I guess it is
    made of concrete as it is very heavy at around 9.5 pounds. It isn't marked in any way
    to indicate the origin. It measures around 14.5" by 9". Any answers, ideas or leads will
    be appreciated. IMG_9585.JPG IMG_9587.JPG IMG_9588.JPG IMG_9589.JPG IMG_9590.JPG IMG_9591.JPG

Attached Files:

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is at least meant to look like bronze. Are you sure it is not metal? From the back view, there appears to be a lip around the edges - as if the design is a cast or repousse piece with a hollow back that has been filled with some other material. What does it sound like when you tap it in various places? Try using something metal to tap with, like a key - but be careful not to scratch it.

I just saw you have posted another example of repousse metalwork. If you acquired both of these at the same time and place, they may be related. It is just that the back of this one has been filled.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. Kevolee

I'm fairly certain it is some sort of concrete type material. From the back it almost looks like slate. I'm adding two pictures. One shows a small chipped area and the other where the bronze effect seems to be painted on. I tapped it with a key and wasn't able to tell anything from that. IMG_9599.JPG IMG_9600.JPG

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, that detail photo is very informative. But, sorry - I haven't any other observations to make.

5. Kevolee

Thanks 2many, If I sold it shipping would be horrendous and if I tried to hang it, it probably weighs as much as a modern 70 inch television. I really like it so I guess I may be shopping for a stud detector.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted