Is this broken doll a kachina?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Mar 24, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I got this little guy 8" today. The store sold him to me for a dollar because he is missing a hand and a foot.
    I just thought it was very interesting. with the painting, feathers and even beads.
    Mikey
    atree 25516.jpg
    atree 25520.jpg
    atree 25517.jpg
    atree 25518.jpg
    atree 25521.jpg
    atree 25519.jpg

judy and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'd say nice find for a dollar! It has a level of detail that's promising. The colors and style and design look more authentic than some Navajo versions made for quick sale. As to whether it's actually authentic, I'll defer to the experts.

judy likes this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

The detail and colors are what attracted me to it. wire covered with clay?

judy likes this.
  4. Potteryplease

I would guess painted wood with metal 'rods' at the joints, perhaps small nails w the heads cut off, to act as reinforcements where two parts come together.

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

Oh ok I see its wood. Rods at the feet, hands and shoulders. Interesting how it is made. Seems like a lot of work.

judy likes this.
  6. Potteryplease

I'm gonna further guess that it's not too old, as the kinds of feathers and what looks like rabbit fur (as opposed to other kinds of fur) and even the kind of leather (perhaps commercial) are all traits of more recent dolls than older ones.

Probably made for sale, so a tourist item, but still better than many.

judy likes this.
  7. Potteryplease

One last thought: I've learned a ton myself by reading what the experts in this forum have previously said about other kachina dolls, using the search feature.

judy likes this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

Actually I did read about yours back in January. So damage is common lol

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

This is not a Hopi kachina doll. This is a Navajo carving. Whenever you see these figures embellished with rabbit fur, leather, fabric, and feathers, it is a sure sign it is Navajo, not Hopi. The Hopi do not make kachina dolls in this style.

There are 500-600 different Hopi kachinas, each is a spirit figure with a specific look, specific things they carry, and specific ways they act. This carving is a complete fantasy design, and doesn’t portray any specific kachina.

Authentic kachina dolls are made to represent a specific kachina, and kachinas are found only in the Hopi, Zuni, and a few Rio Grands Pueblo cultures/religions.

So since kachinas are not a part of the Navajo culture/religion, and they don't believe in kachinas, they usually make no attempt to depict them accurately. They carve figures strictly for sale to tourists, and many Navajo depend on the carving as part of their livelihood. They therefore feel free to create whatever will attract a buyer.

There is still a market for them as decorative Southwest art, and as a type of Navajo folk art. They just cannot legally be sold as "Hopi kachina dolls," (and there is no such thing as a Navajo kachina) so out of respect to the Hopi and other puebloan tribes, they should not even be called "kachina" dolls, since they do not accurately depict the actual kachinas. They should be called Navajo carvings, sculptures, figures, or dolls...but not "kachinas"

10. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you very much Taupou. Navajo carving wood doll.

judy likes this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

So not kachina but still a well made piece deserving some attention so i did a little work to him. Needs more work on the hand but he looks much better. and fixed the foot and added the wood base from my back yard.
    Mikey
    atree 25544.jpg
    atree 25546.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted