Featured Is this cheese dish called Rubina Verde or just Rubina? Who made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I just recently acquired this cheese dish. First question is, Did people really serve cheese from a fancy, schmancy dish like this? I was wondering if it originally had a glass base and the wooden one replaced a broken glass or what? The two don't seem to go together.

Also, what is this glass called Rubina Verde or just Rubina? Anyone know who made it and if there is a pattern name? I'm completely adrift on this so any info is appreciated. The glass dish is 6 1/2" in diameter. Thank you!

DSCF1066.jpg DSCF1068.jpg DSCF1070.jpg DSCF1071.jpg

*crs*, pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

That's nice Amberina , but old NO! Vintage - May be!

Cherryhill likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think someone made or found a wood base to fit an old Amberina cheese top.

Not rubina or rubina verde.
    Rubina is clear to ruby.
    Rubina verde is green to ruby.

Amberina amber to ruby.

https://www.pinterest.com/olivedrabber/amberina/

I think the first one is a cheese and the shape matches yours. The bottom one is a butter.

upload_2018-4-15_20-19-54.png upload_2018-4-15_20-20-28.png

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

A clue to the age. This isn't an absolute. If the facets (flats) on the finial have been ground and polished it isn't modern, isn't 20th century. If they have been it probably was made in the 19th century.

George Nesmith and judy like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Pat (cluttered), the cheese dish you show in your photo looks like what mine should be with a glass bottom. How old is that one?

cherry, the finial looks ground and polished to me, and it was made separately and then applied to the dome. In the following photo, you can see that the glassmaker left a little "notch" where it was applied. Also, the finial has some bubbles in it and is slightly listing to one side. When I shined a black light on the piece, the finial lit up brightly like a light bulb.

Whoever owned it, used it quite a bit. The wood base shows some wear, unless it's a marriage from a different dish.

Oh well, I paid very little for it and was just curious about it because it seemed like it didn't match but the top was so pretty.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Wish I could have kept my eyes open last night but they just shut on me, so my delayed reply.

judy likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Forgot the photo of the dome with finial.

DSCF1078.jpg

7. Cherryhill

Yes, the finial was applied after the body was blown, but still while they were both hot. Yes yours was faceted, it's old. The faceting was done after the assembly cooled.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

A reasonably competent wood worker could have made that base to fit. It may have been intentional change so that the user would have a cutting board.

9. clutteredcloset49

Guessing somewhere in the late 1870s - 1890s.

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Personally I would list this as a possible replacement part. I will lay odds there is someone looking for a new lid to replace a damaged or long gone broken one.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight! I think I might list the lid so it goes to someone who really wants it.

12. Cherryhill

Yup, though Amberina wasn't developed until 1886.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

Thanks for the correction. Appreciate it. (Now I just have to remember it -;))

14. Cherryhill

I this cheese cover rings like a bell, (flint glass) it's not Bohemian. If it tinks like lime glass it is European. I'm not sure what the English used, can use some help here.
    The color (amber shading to green) tells me not American.

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

So sorry, haven't checked in for awhile. We've been painting here, 4 rooms in the last week and a half. And we're too old for this! I'm exhausted but we're done now.

I just plinked the cheese lid and it rings like a bell. It also rings for a long time. So I guess that makes it flint glass.

I found another cheese dish that I will post in another thread. It's EAPG and I need a little help with it.

Thanks much to everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted