Featured Is this considered delft/delftware?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Nov 4, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Made in Holland - and I've found similair pieces being sold as "delft" but it's not what i usually think of when I hear delft. Anyone have a more accurate/descriptive term for this style?

Thanks!

~

36788235921_1d71d8f3ec_kdev.jpg 36757078662_774d3d50d5_kdev.jpg 36757082142_5a61e168cd_kdev.jpg 36757086732_ec55c4c9a4_kdev.jpg

Aquitaine, judy, James Conrad and 3 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well, there is a Holland, Michigan!! I don't see any windmills in Holland, Michigan. :)

judy, James Conrad and aaroncab like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There is a lot of marbled pottery made in Holland and listed as Delft, but all the definitions of Delft refer to blue on white.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't see how "handpainted" could refer to anything other than the gold trim.

If made in the Netherlands, then made for export since the writing is in English.

Delft is a place, so it could as easily be from there as from anywhere else, but this piece really doesn't provide a clue.

Personally, I think that "blue on white" is too restrictive a definition for wares from Delft. There's lots of polychrome as well.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Interesting vase, Aaron.

Am I the only one who thinks this photo looks like BARNACLES?
    img0 (399).jpg

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

judy likes this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i am goin with moreotherstuff on this one, even though i know diddly about Delft. I have seen antique Delft at auction with other colors than blue, orange for instance. Where is Any Jewelry, she's from the Netherlands.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You rang?:playful:

It is not considered Delfts. But Delft did make other colours. I even have a terracotta coloured Delfts vase.
    There are pottery companies and studios all over the Netherlands. They tend to mark their products 'made in Holland', because most people have never heard of the Netherlands. Holland is the name of two coastal provinces, there are 12 all together.
    And there is some pottery made in Delft which isn't Delfts.

[​IMG];)

Windmill in Holland Village, Japan:
    [​IMG]

Holland Village, Shenyang, China:
    [​IMG]

Holland Town, Shanghai, China, the most convincing of the lot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, something marine, anyway. Being a coastal country, a lot of Dutch art and artifacts are inspired by the sea.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have been to the Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan.

I especially loved seeing the parade of dancers.....the sound of their dancing wooden clogs is delightful.

My sister lived not very far from there, and was married to a Dutch/German man.

[​IMG]

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

We have one just around the corner, I walk past it everyday.

dd4b01_7d1b35716fee408dbb7b5599710455d3~mv2_d_4038_2692_s_4_2.jpg

13. CookiesCollectibles

CookiesCollectibles Active Member

I had a pair of those cloggers when I was a child. Brings back fond memories :)

Any Jewelry, judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wow!!!!! @aaroncab, That is SOME Fascinating pot/vase (?) TO ME!!!!!! They do have somewhat of 'barnacles' look to them, SBSVC!! Also, TO ME, I don't see how it could be anything BUT handpainted.....even on the inside!!! (But then I'm not a "Pottie" and WDIK???) What I like best though, is on the top....the extended arm giving a 'tip of the hat'.....at least that's what I'm seeing!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):D:D:D And I love the whole effect of depth!!!!!

15. James Conrad

LOL, That's Right!!! Those other 10 provinces don't count!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

That's probably why opoe and I seek refuge on the forum. We both live in 'underpriviliged' provinces.:bag:

judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

AHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, getting in the way of most peoples fantasy of Holland, windmills and tulips are you?
    You're right though, on another forum a poster was SHOCKED when i pointed out that Holland is not a country, it's a province of The Netherlands.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Let's see, tulips in the garden....:writer::writer:
    We have more trees than Holland, so fewer windmills. Our mills are mostly medieval watermills, much older than Holland's windmills, but here is a much loved windmill from the village I was born in:
    [​IMG]

This is a beautiful watermill about 5 minutes drive from me, first mentioned in a document from 1337:
    [​IMG]

19. James Conrad

WOW! stunning windmill & watermill, very well cared for! Do they still work?

20. Any Jewelry

Conservation societies here have their work cut out for them.;)
    The watermill now houses a restaurant.
    The windmill, affectionately called ''t Nupke", which is a dialect nickname for something small and cute, is still operational, run by trained volunteers. Local people buy flour there. Every friday a local baker bakes bread from flour milled by the mill, and just about everyone buys 't Nupke bread from him to support the mill.
    As a child I used to take a small detour from school, just to cycle past the windmill.:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted