Is This Federal Style? What's It Worth?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Anthony Mobley, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Anthony Mobley

Anthony Mobley New Member

Hi,

I could post on this site all day.. I LOVE IT! I purchased this table a few years ago in Pennsylvania at a flea market. I think I paid about $125 for it. Over the years I have tried to find furniture with a matching handle so I could identify the maker as well as the origin. I am thinking it is federal style but the legs maybe throw me off a bit. There are no visible markings anywhere.

I thank you in advance for your replies!

Attached Files:

moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Can you post pictures of the joints on the underside plus pictures of the drawer?

James Conrad, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Over-perfection in the feet without much wear? It's also possible that it's a new piece, with no age on it. I've never seen that exact drawer handle on Federal and it appears to be in too good of condition overall. Thanks., we will need to see more photos, as Bev mentioned. IF it is actually Federal period, it could be worth good money as the brown furniture it is. Otherwise, nice brown furniture barely moves nowadays. It also depends upon what part of the country you are in for resale.

@James Conrad , would you please take a look at this?

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks right to me because of the delicacy of the legs. And the inlay on the drawer . I do wonder if the top might be a replacement .It could very well have been refinished at some point,hence the condition. Or it could have sat untouched for 150 years . Im just an enthusiast though,wait for the furniture folks.Its lovely .

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

In the future is would be nice if you selected full image so we don't have to click on so many thumbnails. Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mersman table. They did Federal style with the inlay. They usually have a paper sticker on the bottom of the table.

Attached Files:

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Federal or possibly Sheraton, seems right to me. Not sure the pull is original. Seems a bit large for this small work table. Does look to be an old example. Will need better pictures to determine how old. James would be the one to really evaluate this.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello! Welcome to Antiquers.
    Yes, as others have said, it is Federal style, the question is, is it period? I dunno, maybe, maybe not.
    The legs are Sheraton & fluted but the brass pull is Hepplewhite so right away we have an issue.
    I suspect Federal style rather than period but more photos would help clear that up, the drawer construction and underside of table.

judy, Figtree3, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Would that drawer pull be original? Looks sort of large to me.

10. James Conrad

Well, if it's federal style which i think it is, they have combined 2 federal styles in one (sheraton & hepplewhite) which is very common with "style" pieces.
    Sheraton fluted legs with "cookie" turnings at the top but the feet look like a hepplewhite "spade" foot. Ditto the pull, it's clearly a hepplewhite pull & not sheraton which are round.
    The top is at least 2 board and the "fluted" legs do not appear to be hand carved which again, all point to a style piece.

Here are a couple period Sheraton stands with fluted legs & cookie turnings, one with wood pulls, 2 with brass pulls

cowans.jpg
    straight.jpg
    untitled.png

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Aren't those lovely? Almost anthropomorphic. Look like they'd scurry away at a sudden loud noise.

Debora

12. James Conrad

LOL, Yes they are lovely & period, not sure about scurrying away! :hilarious:. The important points are, if you notice the cookie turnings go thru to top of stand, the feet are all round as are the drawer pulls, round being the key word there.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cookie turnings. Got it. So Sheraton = round?

Debora

14. James Conrad

Yep, absolutely he was into round! :hilarious:
    Hepplewhite OTOH was into straight lines, spade feet and oblong pulls like you see on OP stand.
    English designers both, which Americans copied & put american design elements onto, "americanized" you might say.
    These were the dominate furniture fashions in America during the federal period 1790-1830.

judy, Figtree3, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

But James... Do the British call cookie turnings "biscuit turnings?" (Serious question.)

Debora

James Conrad likes this.
  16. James Conrad

I have no idea, Brits probably do call them biscuit! Same thing really, ROUND! lol

judy likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think they might be referred to as "ring turnings."

Debora

Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

You could ask Jack Plane on his blog, he would know for sure. He's an authority on early english furniture. I'd say cookie, biscuit or ring turnings all work.
    Here is a same period (federal here) american Hepplewhite pembroke or breakfast table.
    Notice how "straight" everything is, even the inlay is straight with the only exception the 3 dots on legs.

Pembroke.jpg
    pem2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    judy, Figtree3, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for the lessons on furniture styles, @James Conrad . I'm late catching up, as usual. :)

judy, James Conrad and kyratango like this.
  20. James Conrad

No problem, Federal is about the end of the line for me, collecting & knowledge wise. Early federal stands with drawers are probably the most numerous survivors from that era and unless an outstanding example, usually going for a song at auction, they make great lamp/bedside tables.

Draft saved Draft deleted