Is this item worth saving?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Torkel Oftedal, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Torkel Oftedal

Torkel Oftedal Well-Known Member

I hope someone can help me out here. This wooden box, seemingly of Asian/Chinese origin, have been with me all my life - at least of the part i can remember, at my mom and dad house.

Age have taken its toll, and as you can see from the photos, a part on the top side is now missing, other than that the photos are not given the box enough justice, it is well used, but the patina is rather nice.

The problem is, i know nothing about it, and i hope someone here can give me an advise on what to do; is it worth reparing or should it end its life span now?

Any advise would be highly appreciated! 2019-01-24 19.06.35.jpg 2019-01-24 19.06.45.jpg 2019-01-24 19.06.56.jpg 2019-01-24 19.07.09.jpg 2019-01-24 19.07.16.jpg 2019-01-24 19.07.36.jpg 2019-01-24 19.07.47.jpg 2019-01-24 19.08.56.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Torkel, there are others here who can help identify your box far better than I, but I just wanted to say one thing:

It would be a criminal offense to end the life of that box! I happen to think it is wonderful! Those lidded interior compartments are pure delight. I love it, just as it is!

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like a Tea or Spice caddy.

4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

lovely tea caddy

Ghopper1924, Fid, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

considering that it has a lock: is it from 18th century when tea was valuable?

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  6. Torkel Oftedal

I promise you right now, based on your passion here, i will keep it and cherish it, until maybe one day someone else comes along who can cherish it even more. So thanks a lot for this comment! :)

7. Bee Zim

Bee Zim New Member

Just joined, this is the first piece i'm seeing. it's wonderful. Japanese, right?
    Please enjoy it. Wabi sabi...

8. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I like it and would keep it to remind you that in there was a time when people stored their tea in hand made pieces like this and would brew it using nice little tea pots.

And today people have plastic containers filled with plastic disposable pods they snap into their Keurigs

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Japanese lacquer tea caddy, probably mid 19th as it's a bit bigger. Nice thing. Gentle clean and a bit of wax.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I love it! You have been showing some wonderful items here, welcome, we are all so glad you joined Antiquers :shame:

11. Torkel Oftedal

Thank you all for such kind words- i am honored to be here, and i am very happy for your advice as well. I am sure we all feel the same way; without a community like this we could never really cope with checking history and get guidance on items that pass our way. So again, thank you all so much, i will bring more items, for sure! :)

12. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I would love it for all that it is and its history with you.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted