Is this jade? Need stone and figure ID help please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MTswirls, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hello again,

I wanted to get some input about this pendant. I believe it is made of jade but I would like to get some second opinions. I’m trying to recognize what the carving is supposed to be? It kind of looks like there’s two small animals at each side on the top of the pendant. If anyone recognizes what they are that would be a great help. If the pendant does appear to be carved jade would it be considered jadeite or a different variety?
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the help!

IMG_0555.jpeg IMG_0556.jpeg IMG_0559.jpeg IMG_0558.jpeg IMG_0560.jpeg

ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen that bail on glass or random rock pendants before. To be sure, or even make a decent guess, we'll need clearer shots in natural light.

MTswirls and Aquitaine like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks very similar to jade.... a vase maybe..?

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I tried to use your smaller image to bring it up, as your larger image was too blurry and shadowed. If you can try a clearer close-up in natural daylight that would be great!! @evelyb30 just beat me to posting.....my image isn't as clear as I'd like it to be either.......

X3ZZZZZZ JADE-edit.jpg

5. MTswirls

The bail on this pendant is stamped and tested 14k gold. I will try to add some better pictures in natural sunlight tomorrow

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  6. MTswirls

Thank you, that looks a lot better! I have to shrink the images to post them, and I think it effects the quality. I will add better pictures in natural daylight tomorrow.

7. MTswirls

I didn't think of that. It definitely looks like it could be a vase with decorative handles at the top. Thanks!

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like jade to me, and yes, a vase, with dragon handles.
    If Aqui's wonderful tweaking brings out the correct colour and gloss, it has the specific green and gloss of some Hetian/Khotan nephrite jade, which is one of the most valued Chinese jades.

komokwa, MTswirls and judy like this.
  9. MTswirls

Thanks for the info :) Aquitaine's pic is a pretty good representation of the color and gloss, but it is a little lighter in person. I will be adding some better pictures later today when the sun comes out.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. MTswirls

@evelyb30 @Aquitaine @Any Jewelry Here are some better quality pictures I took outside today. Does it still look like a possible match for nephrite jade?

IMG_0655.jpeg IMG_0650.jpeg IMG_0652.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0656.jpeg IMG_0660.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The more I look at that the more I really LIKE that Pendant !!!! I see you got some nice sunshine on it!!!!!:):):):) I'd bet my Uncle that's jade!!!! (Not that I have any left alive!!!!:rolleyes::smuggrin:....mostly basing on what @Any Jewelry said!!)

X3ZZZZZZ IMG_0656-edit2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    MTswirls, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

A lot of bubbles.... glass.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't see any bubbles, MT, could you check it with a loupe?
    Anyway, seen in this better light, with clearer pics, it is not Hetian/Khotan nephrite jade. If there are no bubbles it could be Burmese jadeite jade, carved in China.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

bubbles2.jpg

15. MTswirls

I do see what you are talking about in the photos @Hollyblue, but I think it might just be illusions in the photos. I don't see any bubbles under a loupe @Any Jewelry, just some milky variations and cloudy textures. Here are some more pictures under a 10x loupe.

IMG_0760.jpeg IMG_0755.jpeg IMG_0773.jpeg IMG_0768.jpeg IMG_0754.jpeg IMG_0750.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted