Is this likely to be gold, or filled? xx

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Mar 18, 2018.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Looked in my jewellery bag,and found this. It looks like gold but might be rolled or something. Don't think gold would be not gold colored under where the jewel was? It says 15ct , a blob and another blob that looks like an A but isn't?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just grime or glue residue? Could clean up as gold.
    Tried to make it more legible, it does look like 15c. 15 carat was used in Britain and Ireland until the '30s, but usually with a .625 mark.
    upload_2018-3-18_17-39-44.jpeg
    Could you take a photo of the part with the marks against a white background? A piece of paper will do.

3. BoudiccaJones

It looks like it's not goldy coloured at all, but will go and give it a clean and see. It FEELS like gold otherwise,and I thought it was when I picked it up but the front thing really bothered me x x
    Oh and then I'll take a pic against white, getting really dark here so will do it tomorrow...again thank ypou x x x

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

It's definitely 15 ct that it says, that's all i can see for sure...going to gently clean that bit as well though just in case x x

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

15ct is definitely visible, but what the other two marks are is anyone's guess....even de-saturated!!! Last one COULD (?) be a leaf or a star with maybe a tiny "T" in the middle of it???? Middle one - NO CLUE!!!!

z29365475.jpg

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

15ct, so gold, yes. It often doesn't have any other purity marks. That looks as though it might be Hibernia, so Irish. Not full British hallmarks, anyhow. I suspect it hd something like Connemara marble or another stone and what you're seeing as black is the remains of ahesive.

Christmasjoy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I suspect the same thing. Odds are it was a good tourist piece, but the glue died.

8. Ownedbybear

Yup. Looks like a man's signet to me, too. Possibly not tourist, the Irish are fond of jewellery with national meaning.

9. BoudiccaJones

Last one looks a bit like an A ,going to try and take pics today x x

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  10. BoudiccaJones

Mrs B, I polished it and the silver thing I think is OVER the gold part...looks as if the gold was there first and another coating put on? I'll try and take pics but it's cold as death here and the light is awful!

I love the dam thing now, so glad I bought it. Love rings ( love everything) and Ive managed to wedge it between some of my others, on my fingers...only got skinny fingers ( pity about the rest of me :eek:) but it'll stay there wedged x x

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

12. BoudiccaJones

Looks like a lion of some kind and an A?

(Thanks as always,love you all xx but specially my Mrs. B x x )

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Would the A & its style indicate year made?

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

By Jove, I believe you NAILED IT!!!!!! MIDDLE IMAGE: 15ct, Left facing lion, and A !!! Great job on the pictures and GOOD JOB POLISHING!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::D:D:D:):):)

15. Ownedbybear

Hm. It's a lion alright, so that means Brit not Irish. No purity percentage, so pre 1904. Not town or duty mark, which happens, so let's go on cartouche and letter shape. I suspect 1884. Probably Chester.

<blows kisses at Boudicca.>

16. BoudiccaJones

Thank you so much. I think my pics are getting better :D and I love polishing. Jewels. Everything else not so much :D x

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  17. BoudiccaJones

Ohh that is great news...and bigger kisses back. Thank you so much for your help x x

Draft saved Draft deleted