Is this Louis Vuitton bucket hat real?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jun 8, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store last week - is there any way to tell if it's real?
    It looks & feels good but the label doesn't have a serial number - does that mean it's a copy?
    Thank you!

CLOTHES HAT LOUIS VUITTON BUCKET HAT 1A_AAZZ.JPG CLOTHES HAT LOUIS VUITTON BUCKET HAT 2A_ZZAZZ.JPG CLOTHES HAT LOUIS VUITTON BUCKET HAT 3AAZZ.JPG CLOTHES HAT LOUIS VUITTON BUCKET HAT 3BAAZZ.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's counterfeit. You can tell at a glance because the label doesn't have the correct logo. Also, the quality of the stitching is a giveaway. (A Louis Vuitton bucket hat sells for 3 figures. You can be assured the stitching is impeccable.)

Debora

Unknown.png

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The O’s should be written as circles rather than ovals, right?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good example. There are also many other differences that are more subtle.

Debora

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Handy hat to go fishing in though

Figtree3, judy, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or toss in the lake !!!!!!!!

Figtree3, Brian Warshaw, judy and 5 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A purist would say that, as with all counterfeit luxury goods, it should be destroyed.

Debora

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa, reader and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thanks - it fits & looks ok on me so I'll probably just wear it.
    1 more question please - I'm not at home (in line waiting for thrift store to open - was late & got here only 1 hour before opening so I'm number 4 in line!) But I'll post photo later if needed - I also bought a D&G baseball cap (new with tags) made by 59fifty - it it a licensed product or also a counterfeit? I saw one online that had sold so it made me a little hopeful?
    Thanks again.

judy and Van_Poperin like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum. 59 Fifty is a type of baseball cap made by the New Era Cap Company for the MLB. Dolce & Gabbana is also widely counterfeited. Chances are...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/59Fifty

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

As a generality, YES. As a 100% answer...NO Vuitton has done series with exceptions that used oval O’s. One off the top of my head is the vintage Miroir leather pochette. And, stitching is also something you can’t use definitively for authentication. The licensed American pieces of the late 70s to the early 90s were solidly but unevenly stitched and frequently cut off the monogram.

Meanwhile I agree that the hat is a bad counterfeit and I’m one who thinks it doesn’t necessarily have to be destroyed (as long as one is comfortable wearing an obvious counterfeit) but that it must be marked as counterfeit on the interior with permanent readable magic marker or similar so that no one else gets taken down the road.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Figtree3, judy and bluumz like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Dolce baseball caps are made in Italy and tagged as such. You have another counterfeit. Please also marker it if you’re going to wear it.

judy likes this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I believe all branded luxury goods are a huge con game produced for the most gullible in our society. Who cares if some hat was designed by Joe Blow or Josephine Blow? Not me. Quality doesn't have to be labelled, but I suppose it helps if you have no idea what real quality is.
    Mostly the label market is the Emperor's new clothes.

Tanya, judy and KSW like this.
  14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I’m always concerned about the dyes used in counterfeit clothes, bags, purses, etc. If they are carcinogenic you won’t know, they don’t have to pass any safety tests at all and they don’t care about you just getting the money. I can’t forget about the poisonous melamine powder counterfeit makers put in baby formula.

Tanya, judy and reader like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

DragonflyWink likes this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Absolutely true. Toxic chemicals abound. Even the legal clothing out of Asia (excluding Japan) is usually tagged to wash before wearing because of the dyes.

judy and Houseful like this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

judy and cxgirl like this.
  19. journeymagazine

reader - thanks for the info but I am not going to magic marker 'Counterfeit' inside a hat that I am wearing. I have almost 2,000 sales on ebay with a 100% positive feedback - so I'm not going to sell it to anyone as the real deal (why I asked here) but writing inside it with a permanent marker for something only I am going to wear is a little obsessive - to me.

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No one can tell anyone else what to do with their counterfeits. We can only suggest...IMO destroying it is obsessive and many would suggest that. There’s no way I’d put that thing on my head personally due to potentially toxic chemicals etc. but it’s your new treasure.

judy, Houseful and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted