Is this Native American? If so, what tribe?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Holzy, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Holzy

Holzy Member

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me identify this ceramic pot. Is is Native American? Thanks for any info you can give me! IMG_6628.jpg IMG_6626.jpg

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

modern Hopi pottery...... i would think !

Holzy, stracci and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

With such thin walls, contemporary Acoma Pueblo, I think.

Holzy and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think Hopi, too.
    It doesn't look like Acoma, Jemez, or Laguna.
    (I drove by Laguna and Acoma Pueblos on Thursday!)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Holzy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. 2manybooks

Some modern Acoma pottery for comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iPacific

iPacific Member

The 3 colors with bold geometric designs have typical Acoma look. Jemez tends to have a light brown background. From my memories of living in Albuquerque in the 80s. Checking google, there is a well-known C J Shije Acoma/Zia artist, but they usually sign the bottom of the pot and with a distinctive mark. Last thought, the geometric designs look like a more modern interpretation. That said, I have no idea but you got me curious :)

Holzy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Although you don't show the bottom, which would help, the pot itself appears to be greenware, made from a mold, and therefore not traditional Native American pottery. Many Southwest potters refer to this as "ceramics" as opposed to "potteries" (their term for traditionally made pots.)

The greenware is factory-made, and widely available locally in shops selling craft supplies, and many potters simply buy the forms and decorate them, saving a lot of time and effort, and making it possible for them to be sold at a cheaper price than the traditional pots, and attract low-end tourist dollars. Some tourists don't know the difference, and simply want an inexpensive souvenir.

You'll find that some Acoma Pueblo and Jemez Pueblo potters, and the Navajo (especially) resort to this type of practice. I know of no Hopi potters that do. But this pot is more a "Southwest" combination of styles, not really that of any particular Pueblo. Nor is it a common practice to include a date.

I have been unable to determine who "CJ" is, and therefore if they are an official tribal member (although I have seen this signature before). Since tribal potters are well-aware of the value of tribal membership, and of the federal Indian Arts and Crafts Act, it is very unlikely that a pot would be signed with only initials and a date, and not with the tribal affiliation, if the potter was legally entitled to use it.

Figtree3, reader, Holzy and 6 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-4-19_1-3-32.jpeg

well, it reminds me of Hopi STYLE pottery designs.....

but Acoma STYLE......may be a good call as well.......

upload_2020-4-19_1-6-35.jpeg

stracci, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, the tribe is usually present with the signature. Good call!
    Here are a few from my modest collection, and they all specify tribal affiliation.
    IMG_20200419_085437.jpg IMG_20200419_085411.jpg
    IMG_20200419_085311.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Holzy likes this.
  10. 2manybooks

@Holzy - I would consider @Taupou our most knowledgeable contributor here on SW pottery. You might be able to confirm that your pot is made using commercial "greenware" by running your fingers around the inside of the bowl. Greenware is usually made in a 2-piece mold, and the mold line can sometimes be felt on the interior of the piece - there would be 2 slight ridges running top to bottom, on opposite sides of the bowl. Check under the rim, where it would be less visible and more likely to be neglected. (They usually take the time to smooth over the exterior mark.) Absence of a mold line does not guarantee the pot is handmade, however.

Figtree3, reader and Holzy like this.
  11. Holzy

Holzy Member

12. Holzy

Holzy Member

Draft saved Draft deleted