Is this Native American mask of a bear or signed by Bear?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by AntiqueBytes, Apr 4, 2022.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this Native American mask is of a bear or signed by someone named Bear.

The nose looks more like a human figure.

It is roughly 8 inches (because of hair) by 3 & 1/2 inches wide.

What kind of hair would that be? Level of quality?

It looks Northwest native American but I would not know specifics.

bearmask1.jpg bearmask2.jpg bearmask3.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Northwest Coast bear mask.

Debora

Boland and AntiqueBytes like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Well... this is a forgery, or fake, based on a NW Coast Bear mask. Sold by the thousands.
    Identification, based on the type of wood- an open-grain wood, usually called albesia or acacia, not available on the West coast of US or Canada; and by the specific design, identical to those sold by the major importers.
    And one could go on - this shade of gray, for example, is common on the fakes; but gray is extremely rare on NW Coast Native masks.
    Carved in Bali as a cottage industry, where the carvers earn about $1 per mask; usual retail price around $50.
    Given a few minutes, I can find dozens of identical - I mean absolutely identical - masks sold, both honestly as imports, and by sellers on ebay and elsewhere misrepresenting them as genuine Native work.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    smallaxe, judy, Pat Dennis and 7 others like this.
  5. all_fakes

Below is one not exactly identical, but a very similar fake.
    As I look at Roaring20's link, I see 15 masks in the first 3 lines; 6 of these are fakes; 2 are being sold as admitted reproductions; the other 4 represented as genuine Native.
    ebay1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

And how about that banner that Etsy puts on the top of their page, advising that the NWC masks sold by Etsy sellers are not "medical grade," yet there is no mention of authenticity. (Unless the additional advice to "consult official guidance to make the right choice" counts!)

judy and all_fakes like this.
  7. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Just an FYI , there is invasive acacia all over California, I imagine it's in Oregon and Washington also?? Have not been up that way for over 30 years however .....it grows like pampas grass and spreads like wildfire .......
    and it gets big ...... I have cursed the stuff my whole life, clearing it for friends on their property, pulling it up in State parks, and cutting it working for Cal Fire.

Acacia melanoxylon Profile – California Invasive Plant Council (cal-ipc.org)

Potteryplease and all_fakes like this.
  8. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of that one up this way... and based on that description, I hope not to!

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

A little off-topic, and "late-to-the-show," but just wanted to point out that although some "albesia" (commonly spelled "Albizia") may be called "Lancaran acacia," I don't believe the two are the same, although both are in the legume family, and are often confused.

There are over 1350 separate varieties of acacia shrubs and trees, and around 160 of Albizia. Some some of the varieties of both are very invasive and hard-to-eradicate shrubs.

The "acacia" trees are a very durable hardwood, widely used in furniture and flooring. Plus, because it is a naturally antibacterial wood and durable, it's also used for numerous kitchen and food-related items.

Americans are probably most familiar with Hawaiian Koa wood, which is a species of acacia traditionally used in making everything from canoes and surfboards, to weapons and Koa bowls.

However, the Indonesian mask in question was probably made from one of the Albizia varieties (or another tropical softwood), rather than what is commonly known as "acacia" (as in Hawaiian Koa), since acacia is a hardwood and therefore difficult to carve, as well as being relatively expensive.

(It's all made more confusing, since "Lancaran acacia," isn't really a type of acacia, despite the name.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Bear Mask on Etsy forgeries ? On 'Roaring 20's' there's a number of Bear Masks offered at $2500-$5000 ea ?

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  11. bosko69

Sorry Friends-Late to the 'Show',how'd we get to the 'invasive Acacia' news (great tip !),think I missed a few steps as usual.Still getting used to the Forum-apologies.

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The only tree I know with the name Acacia is more commonly called a Mimosa. There's one in neighbor's front yard, but my earliest memory is the ones my great grandfather had brought from the south up to Long Island. Have not seen anything like this one in western Washington.

13. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Thus the confusion continues. Mimosas are actually part of the Albizia (named for the Italian nobleman who introduced them to Europe in the 18th century; thus it's capitalized) group. And both Albizia and acacia are in the legume family (Fabaceae). That much I learned from Botany classes.

According to Wikapedia, however, "several species of Acacia, notably Acacia baileyana and Acacia dealbata, are also known as 'mimosa' (especially in floristry)." So, no wonder the confusion. But then, don't believe everything you read on the internet!

One of the main ways to tell them apart, mimosas (not to be further confused with the cocktail!) have pink flowers, acacia has yellow (or sometimes white) flowers. Acacia can also have thorns, mimosa doesn't.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the mask is still a fake signed to deceive ....................:bear::bear::bear::mad:

Potteryplease likes this.
  15. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Right! I'm sorry I caused the departure from the real topic.

komokwa likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You !!!, can cause any havoc you care to and I'll have your back !!!:playful::playful::playful:;)

17. bosko69

-wait,were Pac NW Masks sometimes carved out of Acacia/Mimosa Trees ? ....in this or some parallel dimension-'beam me up scotty'.

18. bosko69

Taupou,Bakersgma,Kokomo-You are all still revered respected Elders !...now what were you all talking about-Etsy Acacia forgery warnings ?

Potteryplease likes this.
  19. bosko69

-please don't pay too much for a bad Tiki Mask forgery-there's a plethora of well crafted counterfeits out there.Some of the greatest unbelievably fine antiquities out there are modern genuine phonies crafted by superb artisans who care deeply and passionately about their swinish deceptions.They take true pride in their work (and as a plus-don't want to end up in a Turkish Dungeon for 5 to 10 years-that's Inspiration !).
    My Motto-'Buy the Best Phony You Can Afford !'

20. all_fakes

PS: Genuine Northwest Coast Native masks were never carved out of anything that might be called acacia, albesia, albezia, or mimosa....or as one maker of fakes advertises, "avocado wood." Or as one faker trid to promote "mahogany that washed ashore." No. period, no.
    They would be red or yellow cedar, or perhaps, more rarely, alder.

Potteryplease, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted