Featured Is this native?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nancy Neal, May 21, 2019.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

I always thought it was Acoma, but now am having doubts, If someone can identify I really appreciate it, Measures over 6 inches, Also it is lopsided though bottom is even and it stands without any difficulty, Any acamo1.jpg acamo1 (3).jpg acoma6.jpg acoma6.jpg acamobtm.jpg acamo4.jpg acamo.jpg help appreciated thank you all acamo.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's native style for sure....but further than that I won't go...

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely a wannabe, but whether it is ... no idea.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Yes, Hopi, but one of those forms produced for the tourist/collector market rather than a traditional cultural piece.

These are usually referred to as "tulip vases" and were first made by the Hopi in the 1920s/1930s as a result of the influence of the European and American art pottery being made at the time.

Despite being called a tulip vase, and made in the actual shape of a vase, it shouldn't be considered functional. Since Hopi pottery is not glazed, it isn't waterproof, and it's likely that a large number of these were damaged over the years by people who filled them with water and flowers.

Figtree3, Dawnno, Nancy Neal and 8 others like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

About Hopi vases, I know nada. However, having been frustrated by vases that were: porous, prone to discoloration, very fragile, impossible to clean, etc., I have a number of items from the chemist's laboratory, which can be inserted, thereby eliminating the problem. Vive la test tube!! :)

7. Nancy Neal

8. Nancy Neal

Thank you all so very much, I really appreciate it.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted