Featured Is This Necklace Bakelite

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by TraceyB, Dec 27, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Hello everyone
    I hope you are having a wonderful festive season :)
    This is another piece from my Gran's shoe boxes. I have started to read about bakelite and am wondering if these beads could in fact be bakelite. I have read that if you put them in hot water and they smell like camphor there is a good chance that they are. Is this a good test to do? I just don't want to do anything that may damage them.
    The necklace is 2 feet long.
    20201227_204518.jpg 20201227_204544.jpg 20201227_204616.jpg 20201227_204636.jpg 20201227_204659.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ivory. I'd think from India.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That is so pretty.

Please wait for the experts to advise you, but this is what I have done, and since none of them have read this post yet.............

If you have Simechrome polish, try a dab on a cloth and rub one of the beads....if the cloth turns yellow, it's bakelite. If no Simechrome, you can use baking soda on a damp cloth. Same yellow results.

It doesn't matter what the necklace is made of, it's lovely....made to resemble ivory?

Hopefully you are having a wonderful festive season as well.

TraceyB, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

OBB to the rescue.

I was wondering if they could be ivory.

kyratango, TraceyB, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

They may be bovine, rather than elephant, although the older ones are usually elephant. I've seen a fair few of these carved ones.

TraceyB, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  6. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely necklace, Tracey. I suspect it is bone, possibly made in (Central) Europe. The European carvers made carved jewellery in both bone and ivory, depending on the intended market.

kyratango, TraceyB, KSW and 4 others like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

One thing, before you test a bead for Bakelite make sure it's clean. Old cigarette smoke and dirt can give a false reading. Clean just the one bead with a damp cloth and a little mild detergent. Don't dunk or soak the necklace, depending on the material you may harm it (see below). Also I don't think it's a good idea to get the cord wet if you can avoid it.

Here is what a positive Bakelite test looks like:
    ChoBkliteBarPinTest.jpg

JMHO, by the look of it and the way the beads are carved, I would say not Bakelite. I agree, more likely ivory, or if a plastic, possibly celluloid. Do not get it wet if you think it is celluloid, see this for cleaning it:
    http://www.hqjewels.com/how-to-clean-celluloid-jewelry/#:~:text=If you see stains or,also apply soap if needed.

judy, kyratango, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was also thinking celluloid. The way some of the non-carved beads looks sort of darkened, I've seen that type of aging with celluloid.

Does the necklace seem light weight? Bone or ivory would be heavier. You could do a (very gentle and light) tap on glass like a window. I think plastic would have more of a dull sound, bone or ivory more sharp glass-like sound. Kind of a subtle test though and hard if you don't have anything to compare it to.

Could be either for sure, but I've seen early plastic (especially this era) made to mimic ivory.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Fid, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

That crack looks organic to me, not the way celluloid shears. The darkening isn't right for celluloid either.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was thinking more along the lines of this sold one ($44.99) on Ebay. Only had the one photo since auction was from 2018.

Vintage Carved Celluloid Beaded Rose Necklace Flower Hand Knotted

index.jpg

I Google searched "carved celluloid hand knotted necklace". There are others in different styles but similar.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Fid, judy, TraceyB and 5 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm in the Celluloid or similar camp. I don't see any signs of ivory or bone. The floral beads are very similar to the ubiquitous flowered Celluloid bangles.

Fid, judy, TraceyB and 5 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first thought was bone, but it isn't always easy to know from a picture.

14. TraceyB

Hi Judy :happy:
    I tried your suggestion with baking soda and no yellow at all on the cloth so looks like they aren't bakelite.

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. TraceyB

Hi Marie :happy:

I cleaned a bead as you recommended and then used the baking soda but nothing came off on the cloth.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  16. TraceyB

Hi Lucille :happy:

The necklace feels quite light. It weighs 33gms.
    I tapped in on glass and it has the same sound as a small stone or pebble on glass.

17. TraceyB

Hi OBB :happy:
    I think the crack you may be referring to is where the two ends screw together. Please refer to the 4th image

18. TraceyB

Yes, the necklace you found does look very similar. Thank you.

19. TraceyB

Hi OBB
    I found a crack in one of the beads. Is this a clue?
    20201228_130854.jpg

Bronwen, judy and kyratango like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

It was the crack on the carved one I saw?

Bronwen, judy and TraceyB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted