Featured Is this old Indian painting valuable?

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Sep 19, 2018.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

was browsing trough Christies past auction results. https://www.christies.com/arts-of-india-27426.aspx?saletitle=

Than I remembered that I had something similar. Guess its late 19th century early 20th century? the gold color on the sides has faded but the center is still intact. Fairly large piece approx. 110x60cm.

Could this be any good? Should I bring it to a auction?

Sorry the only pictures I have at the moment from when I bought it. Its buried deep in storage now.

20180918_155527.jpg

20180919_054011.jpg

20180918_155535.jpg
    20180918_155542.jpg

Any Jewelry, i need help and judy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

More Persian looking, I think. @Any Jewelry will have an idea or six.

3. benbenny007

Yes your right. Overlooked the beards and headgear. Details details details.
    Indian was better, bigger market.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Benny.
    Unfortunately those are not the telltale signs.
    It is Indian, Mughal/Moghul style. But these are still being made. Right now it looks like a fairly recently made one, but we need to see more.
    I can't see if the flower border is part of the painting, a mat, or part of the frame, too blurry for me. If it is a mat or part of the frame, my bet is on no older than 1970s.
    Could you show us the entire painting including the frame? Is there a way of taking the painting out of the frame safely?
    Collector's markets for both are international, if antique. And with Persian being more rare.....;)

If recently made, these are for the international home decorator's market, and the country of origin is not all that important. It is a very attractive painting.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  5. Any Jewelry

Oops, I just noticed this:
    Very large piece.;)
    I don't know of any Mughal books or folio albums that size, sorry.:oops: Would still like to see the entire piece, though.

Bronwen, judy and benbenny007 like this.
  6. benbenny007

Thx @Any Jewelry

The border is not a mat. Its is decoration and part of the painting. Looks like its painted on silk. Yes its fairly large and got some age to it. Not so sure if i want to take it out of the frame. Maybe if its worth taking out than i will.

Screenshot_20180920-120108.jpg Screenshot_20180920-120114.jpg Screenshot_20180920-120121.jpg Screenshot_20180920-120100.jpg Screenshot_20180920-120048.jpg Screenshot_20180920-120042.jpg

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Don't take it out. It is not an antique, so we don't need to see the back, and it is textile so we don't need to see the paper.;)
    Still very blurry photos though, but doesn't matter, I get the idea. Silk was the magic word, although I translated it to cotton.:)

Do you have any Indian restaurants in you area? They often have these big textile paintings on the walls. They are very nice, handpainted, and evocative of the grand era of Mughal rule, Taj Mahal, etc.
    I have no idea of the value, but they must be worth something, given the quality and size.

Asian Fever and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted