Featured IS THIS ONE OF 1st BLACK BARBIES?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 28, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought some stuff off a friend who was cleaning out a bedroom that he'd been using for storage. One of the cool pieces was a 'Living legends' pencil signed litho/print of himself by Israel's 1st Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion - and this Barbie; which I was told was one of the first black Barbies.
    But I can't find any Barbie in this costume!
    is it a 1st black Barbie?
    What is the costume of?
    thank you for any help
    Happy Thanksgiving!

toy doll BARBIE BLACK 1AAZZ.JPG toy doll BARBIE BLACK 2AAZZ.JPG

THIS IS THE SIGNED PIECE BY ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF ISRAEL! (That's like me as a American ART PRINT ISREALI DAVID BEN-GURION 1AA ZZ.JPG ART PRINT ISREALI DAVID BEN-GURION 3A-A ZZ.JPG having a autograph of George Washington or Christopher Columbus!)

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think she's meant to be a Brazilian carnival dancer. Have a google on that, there's several out there.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Is the doll in a frame?

She would have to be marked Barbie/Mattel to be true.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't know very much about Barbies....never collected them, but have sold a few.

If you google first black Barbie, her name was Christie...............

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Looks like a homemade post-partum Barbie Beyonce!
    (Though Brazilian dancer works, too.;))
    I've not seen that particular face before but I'm no expert.
    Is she marked?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. journeymagazine

She is tied somehow to backboard - I will look again to see if I can remove & look at back

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Try asking on Facebook: Dark Dolls (Black Barbie Collections)

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

AE507DEC-2578-433E-A9FF-8AF75141D019.jpeg From what I can tell this is the 1st.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

and she sure doesn't have blonde hair!

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Fah Real!

12. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

Of course she is.

kyratango, judy and SBSVC like this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

The first black Barbie was Christie, yes, but it was this one ( not the 80s one which is pictured above)

[​IMG]
    (not my pic)

After that came Julia in 1969 who was a depiction of Diahann Carroll and Black Francie was already in existence ( she was made in 1967) ... I know nothing about new dollies and Barbie is not my area of interest but the OP seems to be trying to be a Bob Mackie and to be honest,looks like someone has coloured her in with a felt pen to me but as I said, I know nothing about modern fashion dolls.

@journeymagazine ...I have a lot of knowledgeable dolly friends, with your permission I can ask them?

kyratango, Houseful, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  14. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I can safely say though that no ... definitively NO that is not the first black Barbie by any means, and is a modern doll not 60s.

kyratango, Houseful, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  15. journeymagazine

Well I took it off the back drop - it wasn't tied, it has a strip of Velcro on the cape which stuck to felt shadow box wall.
    It's also not a 1st - or any Barbie - but that's ok because it may be worth more than a 1st black Barbie! The back of her neck says 'Integrity Toys, Ltd' & when I put that name in ebay I didn't see a doll that sold for less than $100 (majority much more) - and they were nude!!
    I couldn't find a black doll like this model, or this costume - can someone find out what I have now that we know what kind of doll it is?
    Did someone dress it in a costume not from Integrity Toys?
    Thanks you

kyratango and judy like this.
  16. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

Of course they were.

judy likes this.
  17. wiscbirddog

Now you can put her 'head-dress' back on properly. :D

kyratango, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This doesn't look like a black doll to me. And with blonde hair? She looks like a caucasian with a sun tan. From what I've seen by searching, Integrity makes a lot of interesting dolls like the RuPaul doll as an example. A vintage black Integrity doll was called Janay and she was truly a black doll with black hair. Costuming and hair seems to be important (as in, over the top) with Integrity dolls. I think you have something with this doll, but there seems to be something about this doll line that my old out of touch self can only sense but not really know yet.

Kathleen Hooley, kyratango and judy like this.
  19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

From what I see on their website, each of their dolls(characters) has come in numerous variations of skin tones and hair colors.

kyratango and judy like this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

OP, Can you tell if the costume is original or was it made by someone other than Integrity? If original, I think that would be good.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted