Is this original clock top?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bridget O'Loughlin, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Bridget O'Loughlin

Bridget O'Loughlin Any help is appreciated

Any info on clock would be good. Know it’s about a 1890-1950’s Gustov Becker. I don’t belive topper is original as it’s not a full match. Would love to find original topper if this is not

2. Bridget O'Loughlin

More photos here

Attached Files:

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Bridget.....your images were very small and a bit blurry.....I've tried to enlarge and enhance them a bit so others could see them and help you better.....hoping it helps!!! WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!:happy::happy:

099E3251-12C4-4BEA-90CD-D95689B16464-art-scale-2_00x-gigapixel-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

3EDC9553-4CD3-48C8-9C63-A7A6548278D1-art-scale-2_00x-gigapixel-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

FB14F65A-14E8-4943-AEAD-CE72C7D00AA4-art-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpeg

69B5F60E-37F6-4789-95FE-D19247700BF4-art-scale-2_00x-gigapixel-DeNoiseAI-denoise (1).jpg

sabre123 and i need help like this.
  4. Bridget O'Loughlin

Thank you. Unfortunately, it tells me each time file too big for website (maybe because I’m using my phone) so I have used smallest photos. More pictures here.

Attached Files:

5. Aquitaine

AND if you have an iPhone, they unfortunately will load images sideways for no-one knows why!!!!! Here it is right side up!!! And THAT'S a much better size!!!

5AF0B1A1-EB8B-4FA6-BC7A-91A93FF6C3F7.jpg

6. Bridget O'Loughlin

I guess I will start taking them sideways so that they appear right side up. Haha

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

FC013A68-481C-455F-82A2-02324146BAEE.jpeg Brigette,
    Even if you’ve reduced photo size, you can still check the box for Full Image rather than thumbnail.
    We’ve never figured out the sideways problem.
    I use an iPhone on it doesn’t flip phots, but many people have it happen.

8. i need help

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Bridget O'Loughlin

Thank you for your help

10. Aquitaine

@i need help, has ANYONE with an iPhone ever tried posting images SIDEWAYS to SEE if they come out right side up????????????:hilarious::hilarious::D:D Just a thought!! I'm thinking @gregsglass might know clocks too, but could be wrong on that!!

Fid and i need help like this.
  11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

This is out of my realm, but it's possible it never had a topper and someone added it later. Wait for the experts...

[​IMG]

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Bridget:

I'm not the most knowledgeable clock guy. We had another gentleman on the boards in England that knew lots, but haven't seen him for awhile.

I agree that the crown piece is later and married to the clock case. However, I'd say that they did a better-than-average job of creating a crest that's sympathetic to the clock; I'd think about adding a coat of glossy varnish to a small corner to see if it better matches the clock case's finish.

Becker clocks come up fairly frequently at auction, at least here in my part of the U.S. Midwest. They may come up even more frequently in your area. I'd watch for clock auctions; you may be able to purchase another Becker with it's original elaborate crest for a good price. since clocks have lost much of their value from 20 years ago, just like antiques in general.

Also, it is sometimes possible to buy crests on E-Bay by themselves, but hard to match the exact dimensions of your clock. Nevertheless, it's fun to make it a quest over time, if you're not worried about getting one immediately.

13. i need help

Not that I know of.

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Bridget O'Loughlin

Interesting possibility! It looks far better without a topper so that is good idea

15. Bridget O'Loughlin

Thank you. I will definitely check out auctions and may be able to get a good one going that route!

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not unusual when people didn't have high rooms to leave the crown off. as it was sold in Laufenburg, which is on the Rhine and consisting of a German and a Swiss part the scene on the pendulum is probably William Tells apple-shot.
    markets very volatile at the moment.

sabre123 likes this.
  17. Bridget O'Loughlin

Awesome. Thank you. It is William tells Apple shot on it. We were just hoping we could figure out what the exact topper was and if we could find a replacement. But if not, no big deal.

18. Bridget O'Loughlin

Thank you for the information on it being fromLaufenburg. I did not notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted