Is this pendant South west, Native American or Mexican?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nancy Neal, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

2. Nancy Neal

sorry I MESSED up this post, I think this is silver, back has an inscription scratched on { for Betita Dec 11 1941}, there is also a very tiny stamp, that I am unable to read, it is in a circle or maybe a wreath. Pendant is very heavy. ,pretty sure sones are turquoise and coral, Am just wondering if anyone recognises the style or the bird depicted. as usual thank you all

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd say more of a Phoenix or Firebird.....just cuz of the red...

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

With that beak pointing straight up, rather than to the side, it's a peyote bird. And it does look like something is missing that was attached to the tail, probably dangling tail feathers.

Unless or until the artist is identified, and therefore the tribal affiliation (if any), it has to be called just "Southwest" if it is offered for sale.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree Taupou, a peyote bird.
    It doesn't have to be Southwest, the symbol originated in the South and can be used by any tribe associated with the peyote cult or Native American Church.
    Since the peyote bird is a beautiful symbol it could have been made by a non-peyote and non-tribal person.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. Nancy Neal

Thank you all so much, will get some younger eyes to look at stamp, to positively identify, For some reason I am getting a Mexican vibe,but yes a peyote bird it is,

8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it "doesn't have to be Southwest". It could have been made by anyone. That was my point. Unless the maker is identified, and the tribal affiliation is known, it cannot legally be sold as Native American, under the terms of the federal Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990.

"Southwest" style is a rather general term that would work, without the legal risks, and without being too specific. It could be called a peyote bird pendant, but that might not be something most people are familiar with.

So of the three options in the original question (Southwest, Native American, or Mexican), it's Southwest, until it can be proved to be something else.

If it's being offered for sale, sometimes it's better to be more general, rather than too specific, to avoid ruling out any potential buyers.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Anyone who collects Southwestern/Native jewelry will know what a peyote bird is. They'll find it.

Draft saved Draft deleted