Is this plate Islam Persian tinned copper or am I way off?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, my research points to this being Islamic Persian tinned copper or Indo-Persian. Of course my research skills are weak so if I am way off please help me out. It has no
    markings I can see. I think the gold tone accents are interesting and the detail in general is quite good to my untrained eye. It measures around 7.75" in diameter. Thanks for any help or ideas.

IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7173.JPG IMG_7174.JPG IMG_7175.JPG IMG_7176.JPG IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7178.JPG I

judy and wlwhittier like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Looks Persian to me, but wdik...I think you're right about tinned copper...a wedding plate, perhaps?

Others here will be much better informed.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is from Kashmir.
    Kashmir has an important Indo-Persian culture. The metal looks like Kashmiri white metal with some brass details.
    With Persian/Iranian tinned copper you usually see copper rims etc.
    I don't think this is Persian, but without Islamic text or symbolism it is impossible to know whether a Persian/Iranian item is Islamic, Zoroastrian, or from one of the other religions of Iran.:)
    Flowers and birds refer to paradise, in all religions of Iran. The same symbolism is used in Indo-Persian art.

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Also, the iconography is not very indicative of the maker's region or religion. Because these are generally made for sale to tourists or such, the maker uses designs that sell . and often may not reflect anything about the maker's region or any particular religion.

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I learned a lot from your info and the leads they provided. Took me awhile to get around to following up on them, but it's always great to gather some more knowledge and to stumble upon other subects along the way.

all_fakes likes this.