Is this royal vienna plate, a fake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Apr 19, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. sunday silence

I've been told the "beehive" needs to be oriented vis a vis the name, so that's a beehive and not a shield. is that really true?

Bronwen likes this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

The Assault? That seems a little strange?

[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  4. sunday silence

what does that mean "the assault"?

I think it says "L'Assaut." or something. or is that the translation?

5. flipper

Bronwen likes this.
  6. flipper

I hope for you that it is genuine...it went for a hefty price on this site.
    Let the others tell you more, though, first.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If it's a fake, it's better than the original! :smuggrin:

No question about it - spectacular!

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It looks like she is being "attacked" by the cherubs which is where the title of the image originates.

Can you possibly give us some close up photos of the painting? The quality of the painting can help in deciding real deal from other.

I agree with blooey though, it is quite gorgeous.

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. sunday silence

I do not have more pics. This was at an online auction in los Angeles I just happen to be watching. It had a lot of Meissen and stuff like that so it was interesting. Im in MD and dont like to have things shipped as it costs to much, so it was just out curiousity I happen to catch that. It was opening bid $1000 and it passed; no one bid.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. flipper

The plate on the site link I sent had an estimate of $200-$300 but it sold for $1200.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That screams quality . if its a fake its a very good one.

Fid and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm amused by the activities represented at the cardinal points: painting/art & music, pursuits of the mind; also butterfly collecting & archery. The latter 2 would have been understood as allusions to Cupid. His beloved, Psyche, is traditionally represented with butterfly wings, or merely indicated by an actual butterfly. The target looks to me like it has a heart bullseye. If the crossed items are torches, or a torch & a quiver, these are also attributes of the little love god. As already noted, the lady is under assault & trying to protect her heart.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Bronwen

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If that's a fake, it's one up on the real ones. Whoever did the painting was a real talent.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. sunday silence

It does seem like good quality, and the interesting things about the assault and the allusions to cupid all seem like something that had a lot of thought put into it.

That said, then what about my original thought that the beehive is oriented upside down with respect to the words? Doesnt that reference site that was cited above also suggest that an upside down beehive is a bad sign?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Maybe this will give you heart:

https://antique-marks.com/vienna-porcelain-marks.html

Ackermann& Fritze definitely did this sort of thing, elaborate decoration & lots of gold around the edges, mythological subject in the middle. Imagine they weren't alone.

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/350/1802/lot/78620

[​IMG]

So much time, work & skill would have to go into making a fake of this quality, not too sure there would be any profit.

17. Bronwen

Uh oh. From site given above:

9. Any bottom description of a decoration or scene indicates that the piece was not decorated in the Vienna manufactory.

18. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

AFAIK, these plates, some of very good quality and others of lesser quality are all made in the latter 19th c of various German/Austrian/Bohemian manufacture.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted