Is this small rug Native American, Navajo?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by wildrose, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Pops says it has a lazy line which he believes is Navajo. I have no idea. Anyways here are a few pictures of the rug, now if I can just explain that some of the design is "puffy" and soft, like I guess its like hooked??? while the rest is just woven. It measures about 37" by 53". Thanks! rug.jpg rug3.jpg rug2.jpg rug1.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm not good at Navajo rugs, but Taupou is. Here are 2 quotes about other rugs in which she gives excellent info on Navajo weaving. Notice in particular that woven rugs with fringe at both ends are NOT Navajo.

Lucille.b, aaroncab and wildrose like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Cant help,but what a pretty little rug.

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that it definitely isn't Native American.

The Navajo are the only U.S. tribe that weaves rugs, and they use a unique type of loom and weaving technique found nowhere else in the world. It produces a textile that is identified by that weaving technique, rather than by the design, or some of the other frequently-mentioned "characteristics."

Among those is the so-called "lazy line," more accurately called a "section line." Whether a rug has them or not is no indication of it being Navajo, or not. Some large rugs do, some don't, and there is no reason for a smaller rug to ever have section lines.

Nor do all Navajo rugs have edge warps, another characteristic often mistakenly given as proof it is, or isn't, Navajo.

What's important in identifying a genuine Navajo rug is: 1) It will never have fringe on both ends that is an extension of the warp threads. 2) The edge warps are not thicker than the rest of the warps or made up of a "bundle" of threads. And 3) It will not have double "ridges" along the sides, showing a difference in texture from the rest of the surface of the rug.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a traditional dhurrie from India to me. Very popular in the 70s and 80s.

scoutshouse, wildrose and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you posted Taupou's quote, because upon seeing Wildrose's photo, that quote is what came to mind.....but of course I wasn't absolutely positive it's what I remembered. Now I don't think I shall forget that NA rugs do not have fringe.

How smart of you to have saved his quote.

TY Bakersgama and Taupou.

That is a pretty rug Wildrose.

scoutshouse, wildrose and Lucille.b like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

In reading Taupou's reply above, I do have a question.

Do they ever have ONE fringed end? Or NEVER?

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Yes, a Gallup Throw will have one end (only) with fringe as an extension of the warp. Gallup Throws are inexpensive, more loosely woven, small rugs, made as popular souvenir items. Unlike other Navajo rugs, they were usually woven with a cotton, rather than wool, warp.

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you Taupou.:cat:

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

AND old Navajo Germantowns can have fringe that was an add-on-they’re my personal fave.

11. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

thank you for all the replies!!

scoutshouse, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted